• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best memory! Mushkin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Janglur said:
http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushk...c005c6c982740c0a80102066c/Product/View/991400

I saw this, and thought it perfect for my AMD XP 3200 board. However, the latency is a bit high.

Would underclocking it to 400 MHz safely allow for tighter timings?
Or do you just reccomend something else entirely?

BTW, $250 is perfect for my budget. I only make about $200-300 profit for PC-l33ting every month. I have $200 ATM.

Although that is good ram, you will be wasting it on an athlon xp system. It is designed to run very high fsb speeds up to 275mhz. I don't think you'll get anywhere near that. Look for some cheaper stuff that you can run at 200mhz at 2-2-2 such as the OCZ VX or the Mushkin Blue line.

-Collin-

I say stay away from the Blue Lines right now as it seems that Mushkin is adopting some extreme speed binning practices right now. It seems that most of the new stuff doesn't have much headroom at all. My best guess is they are building up stock for their unannounced Redline series so all the OC'ing gems are thrown into the redline bins while the rejects get tested and sent to the Blue Line/HP bin.

Today I would rush over to newegg's site and pick up the Mushkin Level 2 V2 ram which uses the Samsung TCCD chips. The ram is priced at $200, less a $20 rebate so for $180 you get ram that is capable of running 2-2-2-x at 200, plus can scale on up to 250 and beyond. Not only are you set for your current rig, but if you upgrade sometime in the future to another DDR1 rig, you should be set there as well.

The problem with the VX or any of the other UTT based ram like the Mushkin Blue or the TwinMOS Speed Premiums is that you have to be able (and willing) to give the ram 3.3v and more to really make it perform. It will only run 2-2-2-x using those higher voltages, otherwise the timings are more like 2-3-3-x or worse (SP are 2.5-3-3-7). The Samsung TCCD stuff needs only 2.6v-2.9v to perform its magic.

Here is the link to the Mushkin at newegg:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146355

I'm gonna have a DFI Infinity, so the 3.3v won't be a remote problem.

I don't plan to overclock my FSB much, if at all. I was just told that if I got faster memory (say, 566) and clocked it to 400, it would allow for tighter timings.

I'm really wanting to min my timings. I want 2.0-2-2-2 or better. (I also want to see if I can accomplish 0 at a cycle, like some lucky few.)

Just FYI, you get a lot better performance from the sytem with the higher FSB if you have two systems running at the same total speed. FSB is the FIRST thing you overclock, generally. Then once you hit your max, you start increasing your speed using the CPU multipliers (multiplier x FSB = total speed) and find the happiest speed with the highest FSB you can obtain.

Whoever told you faster memory would clock tighter if you just ran it lower wasn't giving the best advice. Yes, it WILL generally run tighter the slower you go, but you'd be better of paying for ram with a lower speed rating and tighter timings upfront than spending a similar amount for a higher-speed rated ram that's rated for slower timings, as there's no guarantee it will run tighter timings if you try and slow it down.

Look at some G.Skills (newer ones with the Winbond chips on them ... don't remember which line they are; sure someone else here could probably remember off the top of their head), OCZ VX or VX Value, or the Twinmos in the PC3200 range. Or wait a week or so and give the new Mushkin Reds a try (Diane at Mushkin said she expected them out in about a week).

They all have some headroom to go higher than 200Mhz when you start overclocking, and all of them have pretty tight timings already at PC3200 speeds, which you can tighten even more when you give it voltage, especially with the OCZ VX and the Mushkin Reds (though unless you like to be a person to test stuff out first, I'd hold off on the Mushkin for a bit until others test 'em out).

Love to see a link to a "0" timing, because I've never seen that in my life. Seems mathematically impossible, but I'm not one to knock something till I've seen it. Getting 1.5-2-2 is about the best you'll ever hope for, but on an Athlon XP system, expect 2-2-2 to be a realistically obtainable "best" goal with the right ram.

NinjaZX6R also said that he thought the V2 was using the new Samsung TCC5...maybe one of you guys that are in regular contact with the Mushkin peeps can get this sorted out.

Mate,

I spoke with Diane regarding an RMA and specifically asked for 2-2-2-x stuff, she said they have RAM with samsung chips that does that. So I said "o.k that's TCCD right?" She said its TCC5 on the lvl 2 v2. I asked her again and she repeated TCC5.

Back