• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what type of memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfi

Disabled
im planning to build a new a64 system planning to overclock too.
i'm just a little confused about the memory,currently i have a corsair xms 3200LL mem.

a lot of people recomending for high overclocks the tccd mems.

which one would i be better off.

a 3200 extra low latency 2-2-2-5

or 4400 with higher latencies 3-4-4-8

and what type would corsair or ocz or any other?

thxxx

Boy, that's a loaded question. I think that you would do great with either one and the only small differences would be due to the actual chips you received and a possible few points in benchmarking.

CJ

dfi said:
im planning to build a new a64 system planning to overclock too.
i'm just a little confused about the memory,currently i have a corsair xms 3200LL mem.

a lot of people recomending for high overclocks the tccd mems.

which one would i be better off.

a 3200 extra low latency 2-2-2-5

or 4400 with higher latencies 3-4-4-8

and what type would corsair or ocz or any other?

thxxx

I have the same dilemma but I think I'm going to go with the 3200XL.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to overclock. The 4400 should go higher.

That said I've seen several reviews that suggest that 3200XL TCCD goes to nearly 500MHZ and is stable at that with only a very slight relaxation of the timings.

My own conclusion as a total OC newb therefore is that at speeds of 500MHZ or below the 3200XL will probably be faster as for any given speed it will have a lower latency. However, the 4400 will probably overclock way beyond the 3200XL due to its higher intial rating. So if your going to keep memory speeds below 500MHZ I think the 3200XL is probably better.

Personally I'm going with the 3200XL as this at least gives me the option of stock speeds at low latency if I decide not to OC and the advanatage of what appears to be faster memory at speeds of up to 500MHZ due to lower the latency.

Al.

PS I am a OC newb so please check with other members that my conclusions are valid before relying on them.

You are planning on running dual channel correct?

If not, then the 4000 VX's are a waste of money...

Back