• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so what are some good 1 gig sticks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

Looking to go with 2x1gig sticks. Whats a good brand. Looking to OC in the future. What are my options?

--pak

pak said:
Looking to go with 2x1gig sticks. Whats a good brand. Looking to OC in the future. What are my options?

--pak

OCZ has a 2GB kit and also Kingston has......But in my opinion, the ocz is better. :p

possible links? There seems to be so many types of ram. Tcc? 2224? cl3? or something. I have no clue what all the numbers mean.

--pak

if u know the model number of the ram u can check here & here to see what chips they have. 2gb of ram would be nice to have. i have only just ordered my first 1gb of ram hoping i see a difference from 512 :)

pak said:
possible links? There seems to be so many types of ram. Tcc? 2224? cl3? or something. I have no clue what all the numbers mean.

--pak

Dont you think it's much better if you add another set of 1GB kit to the one you already have. 2GB kit will cost you an arm and a leg and some possible hair loss there :p

Go for the value if you arent overclocking...........
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50010
Here's a link you can start with if your looking for a certain ram and also wants a more rabid explanation with timings compare to how MrCooper will explain his. You'd be better off reading their post replys :p

MrCooper said:
Dont you think it's much better if you add another set of 1GB kit to the one you already have. 2GB kit will cost you an arm and a leg and some possible hair loss there :p

Go for the value if you arent overclocking...........
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50010
Here's a link you can start with if your looking for a certain ram and also wants a more rabid explanation with timings compare to how MrCooper will explain his. You'd be better off reading their post replys :p

He already said he -wants- to overclock !

Anyway:
with 1 GB dimms, your options are limited. You don't have any Bh5 on 1 GB dimm, and other chips, like TCCD may not be available yet, either. Some use samsung or ch-5 or mosel vitec or Infineon (also possibly ch-5, since Infineon took over winbond's plants, IIRC).

But you're using an A64....I've heard that Crucial Ballistix PC4000 1GB dimm is one of the very best for A64 setups. You can look into that.
I dont know what chips ballistix uses....Micron might make the chips themselves; I have no idea.

And very few PC4000 1gb dimms out there; most are PC3200. I don't even think OCZ has a pc4000 part yet.

I just looked up some of those brands, do I have to spend that much to OC?

pak said:
I just looked up some of those brands, do I have to spend that much to OC?

No! You dont have to :) Just get a list of set of rams that you want and start comparing prices at your favorite online vendor. You can find the new OCZ BH-5 for such an affordable price. But then again you have to know what you want first :p

MrCooper said:
No! You dont have to :) Just get a list of set of rams that you want and start comparing prices at your favorite online vendor. You can find the new OCZ BH-5 for such an affordable price. But then again you have to know what you want first :p

My exact problem. I do not know what I want. I know I want 2gigs of ram with 2 1gig sticks. I also plan to OC. Other than that, I really dont know what I want.

--pak

Pak(man) lol you should have a plan, it is always easier and if you do some research wow makes a difference.

Back