• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channel or single?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FalconBlade

Ok, I have been seeing a few stability issues when running my system as seen in my signature. My temps don't go over 43c any time of the day so I doubt it's heat related. After a while, my sys will just decide it's time to shut off and does a restart. I am beginning to think that the ram may be at fault and was wondering if I would see any gain in stability/performance if I were to run the 2 sticks in single channel mode. Any advice on this? Thanks!

-Fb

Dual channel usually offers a 5-10% increase in performance depending on application and data type. However I'm not sure if it can be responsible for instability compared to single channel.

Grab a copy of Speedfan from www.almico.com/speedfan.php and check your voltages. They should be within about 5-10% of spec for best stability.

Also run memtest (see www.memtest86.com) and see if you can test the RAM. It is possible the RAM itself is faulty.

Back