• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ DDR BOOSTER anyone using this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ROH

I've heard a couple good reviews regarding this Booster. So I had a chance to get one at a reasonable price recently so I jumped on the offer. :) It'll be here monday for me to play with! :)

Anyone have good or bad experiences with these? I've talked with a couple people and I hear it helps condition the ram voltages. Some people are seeing improvement even before boosting their ram voltages with this unit.

I figure if I can boost my ram timing from what I have in my sig below it'll be worth the $40 over having to go purchase better ram then the stuff I'm running!

Here's to hoping I can get a really good boost :beer: !!!

O.

ROH said:
I've heard a couple good reviews regarding this Booster. So I had a chance to get one at a reasonable price recently so I jumped on the offer. :) It'll be here monday for me to play with! :)

Anyone have good or bad experiences with these? I've talked with a couple people and I hear it helps condition the ram voltages. Some people are seeing improvement even before boosting their ram voltages with this unit.

I figure if I can boost my ram timing from what I have in my sig below it'll be worth the $40 over having to go purchase better ram then the stuff I'm running!

Here's to hoping I can get a really good boost :beer: !!!

O.

It doesnt help condition voltages, but it extendends your vddr selection. :p Just have a fan on top of it, if your using the booster. It could get really hot while in action. :santa:

MrCooper said:
It doesnt help condition voltages, but it extendends your vddr selection. :p Just have a fan on top of it, if your using the booster. It could get really hot while in action. :santa:

Actually yes it does...it helps supply cleaner power to the DIMMS...

And you will definetly need some active cooling when running past 3.2v...the booster itself gets very hot...and with the way it sits in the NEO 2...all that heat will transfer right to the memory...

I personally use a side monuted 60mm fan to cool both the memory and the booster...I can run it up to 3.6v before the booster starts to get warm...

Now with the memory you are using...I wouldnt expect a big improvement...the using UTT/BH is where you will see the big improvment when using a booster...but the key thing will be the cleaner power going to the DIMMS...

glock19owner said:
Actually yes it does...it helps supply cleaner power to the DIMMS...

And you will definetly need some active cooling when running past 3.2v...the booster itself gets very hot...and with the way it sits in the NEO 2...all that heat will transfer right to the memory...

I personally use a side monuted 60mm fan to cool both the memory and the booster...I can run it up to 3.6v before the booster starts to get warm...

Now with the memory you are using...I wouldnt expect a big improvement...the using UTT/BH is where you will see the big improvment when using a booster...but the key thing will be the cleaner power going to the DIMMS...

This will supply much cleaner voltage compare to the booster :p
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42220

Ya, it's a very nice piece of computer technology. BUT, I can't see myself convincing the wife to let me spend the kind of money needed for one anytime soon. :p

Definately something to keep an eye on. :)

In the meantime my booster comes in the mail tomorrow and I already have plans for modding it. gonna make that sucker fit in the dimm sockets without so much interfearance. :) warming up the desoldering iron as I type! ha.

O.

ROH said:
Ya, it's a very nice piece of computer technology. BUT, I can't see myself convincing the wife to let me spend the kind of money needed for one anytime soon. :p

Definately something to keep an eye on. :)

In the meantime my booster comes in the mail tomorrow and I already have plans for modding it. gonna make that sucker fit in the dimm sockets without so much interfearance. :) warming up the desoldering iron as I type! ha.

O.

lol ROH, :p What kind of mods are you exactly going to perform to that bugger? I'm guessing remving the stock pot and placing it somewhere more accessible eh? Heheeh. You can also add caps to it for better filtering. :p

Please let us know what clock speeds you achieve/@ x.xx volts :)
I'm curious as I'll be walking in your shoes in about a week or so.

MrCooper said:
lol ROH, :p What kind of mods are you exactly going to perform to that bugger? I'm guessing remving the stock pot and placing it somewhere more accessible eh? Heheeh. You can also add caps to it for better filtering. :p

He's probably talking about the droop mod

tresmonos said:
Please let us know what clock speeds you achieve/@ x.xx volts :)
I'm curious as I'll be walking in your shoes in about a week or so.

Heres some screenies...

My old G. Skills at 3.3v

230.5.2.2.JPG

The 3200 VX's at 3.6v...

268.JPG

Given the right memory and tweaks...ROH should be right around the same

glock19owner / whoever else has a booster with the neo plat 2 :

You achieved 3.6v on a neo plat 2? OCZ's booster is only rated up to 3.4v on that board... I've been debating picking up a gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 b/c of voltage ratings. If 3.6 is achievable, I'll go with the neo 2 plat.

tresmonos said:

You achieved 3.6v on a neo plat 2? OCZ's booster is only rated up to 3.4v on that board... I've been debating picking up a gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 b/c of voltage ratings. If 3.6 is achievable, I'll go with the neo 2 plat.

I read in a post from one of the OCZ reps that they test up to 3.4v and not beyond. If a board is rated on their site any higher than 3.4v one of the beta testers or another well respected individual confirmed to them that they had operated at higher than 3.4v.

I've had mine to 3.7v and have read posts from others of going up to 3.9v, so yes, the Booster will go beyond 3.4v on a Neo2. You should have no issues with 3.5-3.6v with that board.

Whether anyone would want to run 3.8v 24/7 is entirely another issue.

tresmonos said:

This will depend on how well your VTT will track...most will only track up to 3.4v...others can get up to 3.9v...

I personally can run up to 3.9v before the motherboard shuts down...but to be honest...anything past 3.6v is a waste for these VX's...

If/when you get a booster...*make sure you have ram that can handle high voltage*...then just up the voltage until the MB freezes or locks up...if you have UTT/BH chips...they should handle up to 3.7- 3.9v...if the MB locks up before those voltages (or at 3.4v)...then the VTT stopped tracking and that is your MB's voltage limit..

BIG FORWARNING:

The DIMM slots and a few resitors and caps will get extremely hot when running past 3.4v...so active cooling is a MUST...not talking some weak 20cfm cooling either...40+ cfm is a must...

MrCooper said:
This will supply much cleaner voltage compare to the booster :p
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42220

Hipro has been working on that for months and their is no ETA or price on it...if you read...he hasnt even tested it out yet...

Last edited:
I found his newest thread on it...seen he had someone testing it...but still has no ETA or price on it...

Dont get me wrong...hipro has been a great XS member and knows his stuff...but for right now...the only thing out is the booster...

glock19owner said:
He's probably talking about the droop mod
Heres some screenies...
My old G. Skills at 3.3v
230.5.2.2.JPG

What week of TCCD is that? So 3.3V eh! :) The furthest voltage i shoved my newly aqcuired tccd 501 was 3.15V. It errored more than it fixed it. But I never got the chance to give this P.o.S 3.3V yet. I will give it a try one of these days :p

Those where my old G. Skill LC's...they had the 431 chips on them...

Those could run at 5-3-3-2.5/275 for about 20 minutes...good enough for some good benchmarks...at 2.85...and could ran at 5-3-4-2.5/275 at .2.85v perfectly stable...

The high voltage did not help the top OC...but did help the 2-2-2 timings...at 2.85 the best they could do was around 213 at 2-2-2 timings...

glock19owner said:
Those where my old G. Skill LC's...they had the 431 chips on them...

Those could run at 5-3-3-2.5/275 for about 20 minutes...good enough for some good benchmarks...at 2.85...and could ran at 5-3-4-2.5/275 at .2.85v perfectly stable...

The high voltage did not help the top OC...but did help the 2-2-2 timings...at 2.85 the best they could do was around 213 at 2-2-2 timings...

My P.o.S TCCD's could only do 2-2-2-5 at 218 the most that's with 3.1V going right through it. :p A little dissapointed on these set since they are suppose to be the new revision and supposedly would re-act to more voltage bumps. Oh, well...So how much can yours do at 2-3-3-5? With those timings, I can do 250 really easily at only 2.95V :p

Dont know...never tried them...I traded my LC's for some OCZ VX's a few weeks ago...just waiting for the new 4000 VX's to be shipped...last week was shipped the 3200's instead...trying to get between 265 - 270 at 2-2-2 timings since my Winnie tops out at 277

Back