• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gskill le .. driving me crazy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatR

no matter what i do .. i cant get my gskill to pass memtest @ 275 1:1 3-3-7-1HT .. and that is what it is rated at .. ive tried it at all voltages .. etc .. its on an msi k8n neo2 plat .. and i have a 3500+ .. all my rails seem fine ...
memtest has nothing to do with my cpu .. just checks the ram stability .. ive been trying and i cant hit 9x275 .. even 8x275 .. mem test keeps failing ..
im running 3x HTT

any ideas ?

madhatR said:
no matter what i do .. i cant get my gskill to pass memtest @ 275 1:1 3-3-7-1HT .. and that is what it is rated at .. ive tried it at all voltages .. etc .. its on an msi k8n neo2 plat .. and i have a 3500+ .. all my rails seem fine ...
memtest has nothing to do with my cpu .. just checks the ram stability .. ive been trying and i cant hit 9x275 .. even 8x275 .. mem test keeps failing ..
im running 3x HTT

any ideas ?

Your mem-controller might have been maxed out already. What's the highest you can get the ram stable at?

dont have another system to try it in .. this sucks

how long should i loop mem test for ?? to show they are stable ?? also how do i select to just run test 5 ??

maybe my 3500 sucks .. maybe i should switch to a 3000

What voltage are you running them at...if at 2.65v...then raise it up to 2.75 - 2.85...most need around those voltages for stability...

Notice it states 2.65- 2.85v for default voltage...and actually 2.75v is default voltage for TCCD skills...

Also...are you setting the timings manually or setting everything to auto?

set everything manually ive tried all the voltages .. seems like anything above like 2.6 gets more errors ..

i mean even at 8x275 which is stock speed for cpu .. 2200 .. still no go

this really sucks

1. Because the memory controller of your Athlon 64 is on-die, your processor can be to blame in this situation.

2. What settings are you running on your memory? Have you tried running it at its advertised timings of 2.5-3-3-7? (Assuming the 3-3-3-7 was not a typo). Also, have you played with the voltage? My advice would be to keep it around 2.7, but a couple of deviations here and there can't hurt either.

3. As Sucka said, please try to test these in another system to see if an RMA is not in order.

Good Luck!

deception``

To set it to test #5 - which version, as there are some small differences in the latest (I'm currently using Memtest86+ version 1.51):

Look across the bottom of the screen...from the choices select "(C) configuration" which brings up a "Configuration" screen with choices...select "(1) Test Selection", then "(3) Select Test" from the next screen, then enter the # of the test (5 in this case) you want to run and hit "enter", "enter" and it will start looping the selected test.

Some are slightly different, I believe the earlier version you selected "2" after configuration and then "5" instead of "3" for the Select Test screen but the steps should be similar, if not the same.

well ive tried all the voltages ..

ive been running it on the advertised timings .. 2.5-3-3-7 sorry for the typo ..

i guess i can run out and maybe get a 3000+ and see if i could hit high fsb stable ..

the version of memtest i have is 3.2

now with mem test when testing the ram its also testing the cpu on die controller as well .. well that could definitely be a problem .. i heard the 3000+ is the cpu of choice right now for high fsb and bandwith ?

well 10x245 4xHTT 1:1 2.5-3-3-7 passed

how long should i be looping mem test ??

also should i try out a64 tweaker ?`

try lowering your multiplier. If your cpu is maxed out memtest WILL error out. especially memtest #5. Try dropping your multiplier to 9x and then seeing whether they are memtest stable at those timings. If yes , then its not the ram's fault. Your winchester cannot do 10x275 simple. Unless its a week 40-50 chip then most prolly it wont do that high speeds. But 9x275 should be possible since your stable 10x245 . Also , take off the northbridge fan and apply a nice layer of arctic silver 5 or ceramique. MSI are notorious for not properly applying the nb paste which results in less stability due to nb getting too hot. Do NOT get a 3000+ right now , as venice is around the corner and current winchester steppings are the speed binned CBBID and LBBID ones which have a hard timing hitting 2.4 ghz or so.

Wait for Venice to be released before you make any cpu purchase. Should be out first week of May and some places (Monarch for one) are taking pre-orders.

See how the Venice does when there are about 10 or more published reviews out there, plus the comments from the guys that order right away and then you can decide which way to go. Early indications are that if your going to buy a new socket 939 the Venice is probably your better choice. From what I remember, the pricing at Monarch didn't seem to way out of line.

madhatR said:
well 10x245 4xHTT 1:1 2.5-3-3-7 passed

how long should i be looping mem test ??

also should i try out a64 tweaker ?`

For testing new ram to find max speed you can run just a few loops then move up the ladder with your ram but if you want "for sure" comfort that the ram won't error, you should consider running it overnight. For example, test #4 needs no less than 32 loops to cover all of the various possible permutations according to the information found in the link below. By running Memtest overnight you should have enough runs to test all the memory.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442&page=1&pp=15

thanks for all the help guys ..

well i just looped 10x250 4xHTT in test 5 .. ran it for about 1hr or so .. 81 passes no errors .. but 10x250 would freeze as soon as it entered windows ..

i tried dropping the multiplier down to 8x .. and tried 275 .. no go ..

i mean 8x 300 would be 2400 .. i wouldnt mind running that ..

Bourne .. ur running 9x300 .. 1T or 2T ?? wut are ur timings ?

madhatR said:
well i just looped 10x250 4xHTT in test 5 .. ran it for about 1hr or so .. 81 passes no errors .. but 10x250 would freeze as soon as it entered windows ..

This is caused from the on die memory controller...odds are it is the memory controller messing up and not the ram...

What voltage are you trying to get into windows running 10x250?

Also try lowering the HTT multiplier to 3x...

ok i just looped 9x270 .. 2.6vmem .. no problems .. so im in windows right now at 9x270 .. 2.6vmem and 1.5vcore .. i guess we will see how stable it is ..

the only reason i would get a 3000+ is cuz i could sell my 3500 + and still have some money left over ..

but i guess if i can stay stable at 9x270 ill be happy .. 275 is a no go ..

i would like to run 8x300 .. but mem test errors right away .. even at 2T

madhatR said:
i would like to run 8x300 .. but mem test errors right away .. even at 2T

That could be from your NEO2...mine errors out at 40% after 289...yet the LC's could run at 300 on a DFI...

Very few NEO2's will run at 300HTT 1:1 anymore...if you are wanting 300HTT+ at 1:1/1T...look at getting a DFI NF4 board...

madhatR said:
thanks for all the help guys ..

i tried dropping the multiplier down to 8x .. and tried 275 .. no go ..

i mean 8x 300 would be 2400 .. i wouldnt mind running that ..

Bourne .. ur running 9x300 .. 1T or 2T ?? wut are ur timings ?

My timings are as following on the A64 tweaker. 1T ofcourse :rolleyes:

a6404409xl.jpg

Those are pretty loose timings for LE's...try these A64 tweaks...these are from my old LC's running at 2.85v...

5-3bench4.JPG

Back