• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One Gig or Two?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klipschman

Registered
Ok, I have installed a gig of gskill running 1:1 @ 235 fsb on my abit ai7 paired to my p4 prssct. Wont go higher and be stable on air. I still have the gig of kingston hyper x that I swapped for the gskill. So if I were to put in both gigs I would have to run a divider 5:4 cause the kingston does not clock as well. So do I open the case and run with two gigs on the divider or stick to the single gig on the 1:1? Oh timings on the gskill are the same as the kingston at that fsb so there would be no change there.

I am sure the answer is somewhere here already, but I tried and tried to find a definitive yes or no and could not so please bear with my ignorance.

Thanks in advance,
Klipschman

Well there is no reason for 2 gigs unless you do photoshop or any other ram reliable program. I have found 1 gig to OC better. I would sell one of your gigs and get some money. 1 gig is as much as any average user/OC'er will need unless for heavy programs.

Can i have a little more detail of which 2 sets of ram you have?

Glad you mentioned photoshop, that program is the whole reason I upgraded from a 1.2 amd to my present sys. I use it all the time, love my digital camera. So either I am editing photos or I am playing video games (doom 3, hl 2) so this info change things? Sounding like I should do the two gigs?

Thanks again,
Klipschman

I would go for the 2gigs, even if you had to run somewhat slower speeds. If you run antivirus/spyware/adware/firewall in the background too always, that's only all the more reason you need the extra RAM. For high-end gaming now and in the future, like you run, you'll want the extra RAM as well :).

I can tell you right now, I have 2 gigs 4x512 Kingston. Unless your runing a server, photoshop or movie editing, like I do all at the same time. Dont bother if your looking to get better performance in like say gameing or overclocking. My friends with 1gig stomp me in fps with their AMD64's, Then again they cant host and play at the same time as well as I can :attn:

Here's the question: Why not try the two out and compare? Do you have that much to lose? That being said, go for 2gb, in most cases I think the zippiness you can get from it outweighs the ram ratios.

Well I opened my small case and bothered myself with installing the second gig. Wow, photoshop runs much better. Photomerge is a hog! It loves the second gig. For sure dvd shrink is improved. I was toping out around 6500kbps but now top out around 9000kbps! So the answer is out. Divider (5/4) with two gigs is better than one gig without.

Thanks again,
Klipschman

You got a AI7 right. If your ram is BH-5 right? forget 2 GB of this stuff and that board. I tryed with 2 AI7's and 10 stick of BH-5.

2 GB of BH-5 makes the AI7 unstable even at 200 MHz, no matter what setting or voltage you use.

1.5 GB, your find that the 256 MB modules will be double sided, there will only be 4 chips per side. Your memory bandwidth goes down with this combo.

The only way to run 2 GB I found with what I had, was 1 GB of BH-5 and 1 GB of CH-5, strange but ture, overclocking was from 212-225 MHz.

Tryed and tested this for a few weeks, there was on solution.

Just to give you a few ideas...
Asus P4C800-E dlx will run 4 sticks of BH-5, but im sure you will not get far even with a volt mod.
It's not supported.
Check this table:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/P4C800_DDR400_QVL.pdf

On this table look for Corsair 512 MB CMX512-3500C2 module, they are BH-5, its has no listing in the C.

one gig gskill, one gig hyper x. The hyper x is not bh-5 and I think pwnt in right about the gskill. So total four sticks 512 running dual channel. I am running stable now at 235 with the divider(5/4). Photoshop is running nice. As well as my dvd shrink. Gaming seems the same. Timings 2.5 3 3 7 And yes the ai7 mobo.

Klipschman

I've got 2 gig of kHyperX to do 225, but I had to go manual on the settings to get them to lock in at the freq, else it would drop me to 140s. And yes PS flys with 2 gig, RCT3 rides run a lot smoother.

For the sake of closure. I am running both gigs 1:1 @ 240. Hmm I wonder if I just did not let the kingston burn in long enough or if it was changing the slots they were in. I also am running higher voltage to the mem 2.8 so that may be it. In any case everything running smooth now.

Keep is slow and easy,
Klipschman

Back