• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1gb: no dual channel; s754 dfi ut 250g mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uzibear

well; i'm being massively redundant but........what to get???? 2x512mb gskill cas2?

price range is $100ish give or take a bit :)

yes i want to overclock!

a64 2800+ newcastle is cpu

Well, with such a limited price range I would suggest searching around in the classifieds here. It would give you the best bang for your buck most likely. But I know on newegg you can get Corsair Value RAM for around $80-100 for a 1gig setup so that would probably be your best route.

yes, but i hear the gskill will oc much much better. in fact i went so far as to purchase said corsair ram and returned it because folks screamed "it won't overclock well!!" at me......:)

You can install the 4v vdimm bios, but will only be able to give a max of whatever your 3.3v rail - .15v. So if you 3.3v rail is sitting at 3.3v you'll be able to give it 3.1v. If you have say a Fortron 530w or an OCZ 520w PSU you can adjust the rails with a multimeter and screwdriver to give you whatever volts you want.

That's why i love my NF4 board, because i can just swtich my jumper to give me up to 4v's w/o any PSU mods :p

EDIT: If you want to OC, and dont' want to mod your PSU i would recommend picking up a 512mb stick of TCCD or a 256x2 duel pack. They can be found for about your price range, maybe a bit higher.

thanks. very interesting. i hav a rosewill 450w psu, so nothing fancy there. don't mind modding it at all if it's possible (i'm more of an audiophile and do DIY stuff frequently). anyway: i have a stick of 512mb kingston pc3200 cas3-3-3 right now. perhaps i'll just use that for awhile. is that reasonable ram??

corsair won't overclock well?

what???? corsair can't overclock well? what????

i bought 512mb stick of pc2700 ram in 2002.... when i got my dfi nf3 350gb, and ran 3.15vdimm through it.... i got it to 240 mhz, 2-2-2-10...

corsair doesn't overclock.... my foot!

that's a 44% overclock, at TIGHTER timings that stock.

as soon as i do psu mod, i hope it'll respond well to more voltage.

The newer Twinmos stuff doesn't have UTT on it. It has something else on it which will go to ~220MHz.

MailOrder, you have some of the old BH die stuff. Very good memory. Much better than current Coursair.

My recommendation would be to get some Crucial Balistix. Its the best bang for the buck right now I feel. It will either do tight timings like UTT, though, stay away from CAS2 at speeds over 220MHz as it gets cranky. It should do 2.5-2-2-5 all the way at around 250-260MHz with some extra volts depending on your sticks. It can also act like TCCD & reach speeds up towards 300MHz at looser timings.

Back