• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a game server--looking to run @ 200fsb. Is CAS 2 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satyrist

As per the thread in gaming, here, I'm looking at making a dedicated local LAN-Only server, (primarily UT2K4, with possibility of any of the Battlefield games/DC as well) that can also serve files too (though not at the same time, this will be a single CPU setup)

The board that I'm looking to run this on is a NF7-S v2, While I do have 1gig of Ballistix in it now, I'm looking to put it into my yet-to-be-built P4 setup, where it will be better able to stretch its legs to better potential.

I had been looking at putting 1gig of this value g.skill pc3200 into the nf7-s, but I've read fairly inconsistent feedback how well this memory will work on it at stock (2-3-3-11) without necessitating a vdimm increase. For such reasons, I'm not really interested in looking at the UTT-Based Winbond ram.

After all of that reading, the question here is:

Is this a good choice for memory to use for what I've described, or will cas2@200fsb on nforce2 ultra suffer from diminishing returns for such a purpose?

LMK

You'd have better gains if you put more ram, For example 2GB-4GB of ballistics there and run them at 3-2-2-6. :) That's should hold your lan party much better as oppose to having 1GB of ram running at 2-2-2-5 at stock speed :p

nf7-s can only take 3gb max :p

My guess is that at ddr400, memory timings aren't necessarily as important if all the machine's doing is serving games, in a dedicated fashion.

Or am I wrong with that assessment?

If not the Ballistix, what else rates good for this NF2 board? I've done a search on it, seems the feedback I keep getting back is mixed.

Satyrist said:
nf7-s can only take 3gb max :p

My guess is that at ddr400, memory timings aren't necessarily as important if all the machine's doing is serving games, in a dedicated fashion.

Or am I wrong with that assessment?

If not the Ballistix, what else rates good for this NF2 board? I've done a search on it, seems the feedback I keep getting back is mixed.

3GB ineed. I dont think timings would matter most if running everything at stock. :p Anyways, you're going to need that amount of ram to manage all those now lanning with you :p

Back