• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot Error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

komm

After keeping my computer on for 12 hours straight (playing World of Warcraft on and off), my computer refused to start the next day. It would start booting up, but then stop and give me a "boot file not found" error. I'm at school ATM so I can't post the full message. I also had some "clicking" noises (that I initially thought was related to the boot error) but it was easily fixed after replugging in my SATA. Before I post the full error, does anyone have a clue what might be wrong?

Sounds like a hard drive problem. Try booting from a floppy or windows cd or something other than your hard drive. If it boots from CD, try repairing windows. If it won't boot from the hard drive, or the windows cd can't recognise the hard drive, you probably have a dead drive. If it won't boot from the hard drive, let it keep trying for an hour or so. This will slowly bring the drive up to operating temperature and it will probably start to work. Once you get booted up, backup anything you want and don't turn the compter off.

Back