• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory and stress testing. Need help understanding what the errors mean.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jblostsoul

Registered
OK. I downloaded a program called Prime95 so i could test my computer. It detected a problem and I don't know what to do about it. It says FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4998995223, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected
Now I don't know how to find what the hardware failure is or what the error means. Does anyone know how I can find out or what it means?

Well that is kinda what i have noticed it says after it finds any error (on my 3 systems atleast). Download and run Memtest86 to rule out if its a memory error or a CPU error. I wouldn't mess with anything until you can clear Memtest first. After you are memory free with Memtest after 10 passes, i would look more at your CPU voltages and temps.

What is your cpu/mem/mobo/psu? What voltages are you giving your ram and CPU? Whats your temps? What cooling devices are you using? Like H20, Air, Phase? What type of HSF are you using?

MY system specs:
AMD 2700
768 RAM 333mhz
160 gig harddrive
Albatron kx18D pro motherboard(nvidia nforce2)
Radeon 9700 pro video card
air cooling
OK I think I have found the problem. I have two different types of memory. My friend gave me a vantec stick of 256 but it's only 333bus. And I had Geil dual channel 256 x2 for 512 mb but it's 400

JB

Last edited:
Back