• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram situation between my two rigs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

one rig is the one in sig and heres my 2nd

asus a7n-266
axp 1800+
2x256 generic ram
gf3 ti 200 *something*

I want to upgrad my secound rig to 1gig. I have some cheap o kingstons in my first rig right now. cost me 75 a piece at the time.

Id like to put some nicer ram in my newer rig and also upgrade that to 2gig (2x1gig) but I do not see myself spending 300+ on ram. Just does not seem worth it to me, but I would also like to be able to OC if I choose to.

Now lets just say im not OCn, does *better* ram make a difference?
If I do want to OC, do I have to spend 300+ on *good* ram?
Should I just buy the cheapiest 2100's I can find?
Does going to 2gig even make a difference?

I know I asked a similar question the last week or so, but I did not seem to get the response I wanted, so I make this 2nd post a bit more detailed.

tia
--pak

Da Whip said:
In my experience if you are just doing surfing, word, excel and such, Kingston value ram and such works just fine.
For World of Warcraft, which is not overly graphics/CPU intensive decent ram will work fine.
I have had good luck w/ Geil Ultra;
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144321
At $100 a Gig it runs very well.

" Kingston value ram and such works just fine."

It works fine for OC'n? Or fine not OC'n. Cuz the sticks I have do not seem to OC well.

--pak

If your not going to overclock the memory (atleast too far) then I may sugest some Corsair Value Select 3200 CAS 2.5 .

Monarch Computers , Newegg or Chief Value all have the 2x512mb kits for about $80-84 w/free ship .

Iam running a gig of the Corsair VS 3200C 2.5 with my gig of Corsair XMS-3500C2 (2 gig total) all on my Abit IC7 in duel channel . Runs great , but it only overclocks to about 220 (not bad for 4 sticks in duel) . Ran 100 passes of Memtest with NO errors at all .
For the money its hard to beat . I cant see spending more than that now-a-days considering DDR1 is giving way to DDR2 .

thanx for the help. I think im going to get 2 sticks of the geil memory. Its on sale for 88 shipped a stick

--pak

Back