• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help picking out new memory.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Hey everyone, well i am getting fed up with my Twinmos and my new DFI NF4 mobo. They really HATE each other and i can not get them to play nice together. Got them up to 250fsb @ 3.3v with my DFI NF3 board no problem, but wiht my NF4 board i can't seem to get them over 220-230fsb stable.

Anyways i wanted to pick up another duel channel set of ram. 512x2 only. Voltage isnt a problem since i can go up to 4v with this board, but i would rather keep the voltages down so i don't need to add another fan (another reason i don't like this ram anymore lol). Whats the cheapest i can pick up a set of TCCD memory? Would that be safe to use w/o active cooling?

I would like to have some opinions of people out there on what would be best with my setup. See sig for all my stuff :D

Thanks Rseven. Would you pick TCCD or UTT for an A64? Which would perform the best? Say UTT @ 250mhz or TCCD @ 275-280?

stang8118 said:
Thanks Rseven. Would you pick TCCD or UTT for an A64? Which would perform the best? Say UTT @ 250mhz or TCCD @ 275-280?
That's a great question. If you can get really tight timings on the UTT it would probably be a bit faster, but it would need a lot of juice. I run my TCCD at 2.7 vdimm @280mhz. There is no certainty that your TCCD or your memory controller will be able to run at that speed. The reason I went with the TCCD is that I would have had to by an OCZ booster and I wasn't real comfortable running that much juice. I also figured, and I think I was right, that the performance differences were negligable. Good luck with it.

stang8118 said:
Hey everyone, well i am getting fed up with my Twinmos and my new DFI NF4 mobo. They really HATE each other and i can not get them to play nice together. Got them up to 250fsb @ 3.3v with my DFI NF3 board no problem, but wiht my NF4 board i can't seem to get them over 220-230fsb stable.

Anyways i wanted to pick up another duel channel set of ram. 512x2 only. Voltage isnt a problem since i can go up to 4v with this board, but i would rather keep the voltages down so i don't need to add another fan (another reason i don't like this ram anymore lol). Whats the cheapest i can pick up a set of TCCD memory? Would that be safe to use w/o active cooling?

I would like to have some opinions of people out there on what would be best with my setup. See sig for all my stuff :D

My TwinMOS goes at about 260 2-2-2-6 and my PQI TCCD can run at 290 2.5-3-3-6. In terms of bandwidth they're about the same. Don't give up on your TwinMOS just yet...... what bios are you using? I really like the 3/10p. You may want to switch the ram in the slots as that may get things to work better. Also could you post the settings for your timings? I might be able to help.........

I know that Tresmonos in the Geil topic said that his recently ordered Geil wasn't TCCD, and there were several other threads floating around confirming that. I'm pretty sure the Mushkin is no longer TCCD either, someone please correct me on that one, I'm in the market for some cheap TCCD too.

HousERaT said:
My TwinMOS goes at about 260 2-2-2-6 and my PQI TCCD can run at 290 2.5-3-3-6. In terms of bandwidth they're about the same. Don't give up on your TwinMOS just yet...... what bios are you using? I really like the 3/10p. You may want to switch the ram in the slots as that may get things to work better. Also could you post the settings for your timings? I might be able to help.........

My twinmos has run 250 2-2-2 no problem on my DFI NF3 board, but i can't seem to get these things error free at anything other then stock no matter what the settings. I have used 3/20, 3/20p, 4/14-2, 4/14-3. Spent about 8 hours on each BIOS and not a single one of them helped any. Here is the timings i was using mostly (very loose timings none the less, so it should of not given errors) @ 250htt 1:1

Enabled, 2.0, 2, 8, 2, 15, 17, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3120, Auto, Disabled, Auto, 0, LvL 8, LvL 3, 7.0, Auto, 256, 16x, 7x, Disabled

But keep in mind, i have tried MANY differant settings and not a single one of them helped any. Gonna bring them to my buddies house and use his DFI NF3 and see if i can get them back to 250fsb. Just want to make sure i didn't mess this set up.

Where did you get your TWINMOS HousERaT? Is it the Speed Premium stuff? I think I will pick up a set but I'm not sure where to get it nor which stuff is the BH.

If I remember correctly, people have been having quite a lot of problems with the DFI NF4 and the Corsair RAM. You might want to check over at DFIstreet.com and double-check.

CJ

yes indeed, that geil is NOT TCCD. Its either BH-5 or BH-5 quality TCCD.

edit: BH-5 quality UTT.
tnx bathroom monkey, you know I'm dyslexic.

ok my friend stopped back and got them to 250fsb no problem. Ran memtest for 45 minutes and didn't get a single error @ 3.4v. He is using a DFI NF3 250gb mobo, so i guess they are just fine. Since seeing so many people use twinmos with the NF4 DFI boards i am just going to assume that it is my CPU holding me back.

ATM i am using a CBBID 3000 winchester. Are the memory controllers really that bad that i can't get a decent OC at all?? Might be time to get Venice lol;

Back