• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Gold Rev.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toro

Registered
Hi, I currently have OCZ Gold Rev.2 Dual Channel 1GB[2x512] running 2.8 P4 [@3.2] on P4P800. I would like to upgrade to 2GB dual channel for my photoshop work. Could someone recommend a decent memory for my current set up?

Also, if I were to e*bay my ram kit, what would be a fair price I could expect? Thanks for any input in advance.

Toro

Thanks for the reply. My budget is around $250. Maybe a little more. I am not into big overclocking. I am hoping to keep my 2.8Ghz at about 3.2Ghz. I had learned all this timing stuff when I was building my system, but it's been a while and i have forgotten most of it.

I don't know how important timing is, but, I am looking for a stable performance for my graphics work. Any recommedation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Toro

To be honest, most ram that is high capacity like 1GB sticks, are both ****ty in terms of peformance, and are QUITE expensive.

Im not even sure you can get 2x1GB for $280 :-/

If I were you, I'd get a gig right now and get a gig later. Will run much better than 1gig sticks. For $250 you can get RAM that is quite nice and great quality. I'd recommend OCZ or Corsair. Those are the only ones I've had experience with and both worked very well.

-1cem4n

1cemn4n,
thanks for the reply.

I already have one gig in my system [2x512mb]. My need is to indrease it to 2gb for photo works. I heard that filling 4 slots will slow down your system quite a bit. My plan is to sell my 1gb and by two sticks of 1gb. I do not play games, so squeezing out a few more fps is not my goal.

Do you recommend just adding another gig?

Will 3-4-4-8 timing of 1gig stick be noticeable compared to sometihing like 2.5-3-3-7 that i have?

Thanks.

I already have one gig in my system [2x512mb]. My need is to indrease it to 2gb for photo works. I heard that filling 4 slots will slow down your system quite a bit. My plan is to sell my 1gb and by two sticks of 1gb. I do not play games, so squeezing out a few more fps is not my goal.

I wouldn't do that. The 3-4-4-8 timings aren't bad and it wouldn't make that big a difference if you went down to 2.5-3-3-7. I'd recommend just adding another gig but just make sure they're both OCZ Gold Rev.2 Dual Channel 1GB[2x512] cause mixing RAM isn't good.

-1cem4n

Back