• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who's not a gamer or folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theMonster

Disabled
I'm reading threads on hardware and people asking what to buy etc etc etc and I'm noticing it seems like EVERYBODY is just interested in games. I know there's a lot of teenagers here, but there has to be people here that don't game. It seems like the next biggest following is folders who tend to be a bit older. I don't do either. I have no trouble with the folders but the gamers are kind of annoying. Everything PC related revolves around games to them and if it's not game related, it and you are irrelevant to them.

I'm a gamer and crunch Einstein@Home but it's not like I have a farm or all I do is game. In fact, my gaming time has decreased to the point that I play games only a few times a week. Besides gamers, other people are interested in games because they stress your system so much and show just how good/bad your hardware really is--it's like an interactive benchmark.

I dont game much, but I fold.

I would say gaming is a big priority to a lot of people - and if for example they are asking for advice on a new build then making gaming a priority is valid.

However, raining on someone's parade because it doesnt fit their use is uncalled for. If I can find £2,500 (unlikely) I would buy a dual G5 2.0GHz and get a 20" monitor and put Gentoo on it because it would fit my needs. Sure, its not a gaming rig, but im not much of a gamer.

I played doom 3 for one night just when it came out, and after that I have'nt even looked towards a game... But ofcourse I'm folding!

I tend to agree with what you are saying, but there is a very clear reason for it. Alot of the people you are talking about are probably very young, so I guess it's normal for it to be hard for them to picture themselves in anyone elses shoes. As long as things don't get personal, you should try not to get too annoyed by it. Also, there are alot of other sections in the forum apart from "CPUs" and the "Video and Sound section". I feel the atmosphere changes alot when you move from one section to the other...

The only game I play is yahoo euchre. And I can rock minesweeper! My PC is purely for financial and work related (okay, and forum related) tasks. I'm usually working on a PC or two so don't have much extra time anyways

I used to game alot to. Now I play Rome total war for a couple of hours a week, and spend the rest beating my brains out trying to learn to program.

heh, I have 2 l337 gaming machines(well, they play any game I can throw at them) and I don't play very many games :(. Sad :(

Elif Tymes said:
heh, I have 2 l337 gaming machines(well, they play any game I can throw at them) and I don't play very many games :(. Sad :(

Same here, all this power, and if I do game on it, chances are its DOOM 1 or 2. At least I got them both doing some distributed computing projects.

I was a solid gamer, played at least 8 hours a day. Then i got a job. I have now gone from gaming, to setting up rigs to do nothing but fold.

I went to a huge lan event 2 weeks back, but it wasn't what it used to be. i just need to find something new to keep me busy i guess. Folding doesnt really do that, install it, start it, and it pretty much takes care of itself.

What is this outside? :shrug:

I used to game atleast a few hours aday but recently with me getting a job I'm doing good to game a couple hours a week. So i mostly fold and peruse the forum.

I use to game about 10 hours a day about 2 years ago. Then i got a g/f and had a baby and am lucky to play a game of NBA live a day. Mostly i browse OCforums.

im way too busy with school to be a gamer.....im not saying i dont have games but im not hardcore....

i probably spend less than 5 hrs a month gaming....some months i never play anything.....all depends on if something new comes out i guess and if im not studyin....

as for folding i dont do that either.....

guess im just a slacker....

I just have overkill system to run MSword!

All I do is game, and I don't even do it well.

I sometimes game, though my budget needs upgrading to really do anything :D I do definatly crunch though. A cpu cycle is a valuable thing to waste!

JigPu

I don't game very much becuase I don't have the patience(I ran out of patience before I could even finish the Doom 3 demo) and most of that is either Quake 3, Farcry or some random racing game.

I don't fold becuase my computer would have to be connected to the internet. Fulltime

So why do I hang around OCF so much? To benchmark Why? becuase its fun it makes you dream of upgrading to top end hardware so that you can coat it in Dielectic grease and freeze it while giving it more volts in pursuit of a number. Also you can tweak it endlessly unlike a folder that ussually has to be stable enough to finish that WU.

Other than that I like using unbearable cooling(dry ice shortly, and 60DBA fans) and my computer spends most of its time being a jukebox and random software tester. However my 19inch monitor does make it nice to do Office Apps and design crazy stuff in Autocad.

I used to be a heavy gamer and overclocker... now i just game with my brothers at LAN parties, I don't overclock anymore... I just have my machine folding, and its my 'Everything' Machine, from TV/Radio, to Home Theatre.

Back