• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to the RAM game, need suggestions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

Hello, starting to explore the more advanced world of memory when it comes to ocing. Don't know a lot, but learning each time I visit these forums.

I am building a new system with the following specs. Most of these are being handed down from my father after he upgraded, but I'll take recommendations to replace certain parts.

DFI NF4 - D Mobo
AMD 3200 Winchester CBBID
Enermax 495w PS
2x512mb Corsair XMS PC4400 o 2x512mb XMS PC3200LL

I'd like to explore overclocking this cpu, or possibly a 3200 Venice/SD.

Are there better choices in memory from brands like GSkill and OCZ that would allow me to oc the processors easier?

Thanks.

Your main problem is, you need RAM in order to even run a computer to test what your CPU can do.

When you are trying to overclock an untested microprocessor, you want to be able to run the processor at its stable limits (assuming minor vcore increases), to find out what the CPU is capable of. You need to do this, before determining if you need high end (and expensive) RAM like PC4000, PC5000 or whatever can do high FSBs. I don't know much about AMD processors at all, but you can usually stress the CPU directly by running the RAM on a divider;this will usually take memory limitations out of the picture.

Once you find out what the CPU can do, then you can test what your memory is capable of at 1:1 ratio. If you find that your RAM can't run 1:1 at high fsb's (or HTT), then if more ram voltage won't help to max out your processor, then stuff like PC4000 becomes far more attractive.

Some PC3200 RAM will hit those high FSBs, given enough voltage (if your RAM likes voltage and if the motherboard supports voltages like 3.2v+), but some may not. Once you find out what you want or need (and if your RAM is in return/warranty period (if you can return it for a full refund), then you can try the better stuff to run at tighter timings and 1:1 ratios.

One common mistake newbies do is to get the greatest and latest (PC4200+, etc), on a new system, hoping that their CPU's can go that high and they find out that they can't. Unfortunately, many people who are now very skilled, have done the same thing, and it's not an easy trap to circumvent ; after all, if you are building a new rig, you -need memory- and if you buy some PC3200 that doesn't overclock very well at all, what if the shop doesn't accept returns without restocking fees? (and you get hit with a fee if the RAM is good?).

Another mistake is to get RAM like BH-5, on a motherboard that won't go above 2.8v. BH5 won't go anywhere without voltage (we're talking about something like 210 FSB 2-2-2-5 @ 2.6v), and BH-5 will NOT boot at CAS 3. But Bh5 (and most TCCD) will scale very well with voltage, thus the term of "BH-5 "Liking" voltage. (In reality, putting more than 2.8v (3.3v for some others) into any RAM can be detrimental to its longevity, but some manufacturers have chips rated up to 3.3v). But I am sure this doesn't apply to you. And I think all recent motherboards have no problem going up to at least 3.2v.

Oh, and remember to lock the PCI/AGP at 33/66. (I assume that's an AGP motherboard?)
Hope this is of some help.

Back