• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for some memory.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dbcalo

ok, i was curious to find out what brand/model of ddr500/pc4000 memory would be the best to go for. im hoping to stick to the range of $100-$130.

basically i'm looking for ram that can hit a 260ish hht. right now my geil ram can't really go past a 200 hht.

or do you guys think a new graphics card would be a better upgrade?

im hoping to spend as little as possible on this project. do you think you guys can help me out? :)

IMO you will be hard pressed to find ram that will clock at that speed for so little money. Also, I don't think investing in an AGP card right now is a great idea either. You may want to just put that money away and save it to make a bigger upgrade later. I know that's not easy when the upgrade bug bites you. but sometimes it's the best thing to do.

In my opinion, you could get by for another 1-2.5 years if you upgraded to a 6800 agp, perhaps 2 years witha 6600. By then we'll have dual cores and god knows what else, but ur system will also need to be totally revamped. And you definately won't find any ram that's actually designed for those speeds for that little.

About your only hope would be if you got lucky with some TwinMOS Speed Premiums that could hit 250 plus with extra voltage or maybe pick up a good set of used BH5 and a Booster. Probably more than $130, closer to $150-$180 and by then you are up into used TCCD territory.

Isn't there a high voltage BIOS for your mobo or have I gotten that confused (yes, I know the NF4 has it, but I thought the LP NF3 was capable of 3.3 or so, maybe more, with a different BIOS. For sure with a Booster.

Edit:
By the way...I am part of that group that doesn't believe that AGP is dead.

Yes, if you are planning on a whole new rig, then for sure go PCIe, however, if you have a relatively new cpu/mobo then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (in my opinion) to go out and buy everything new just for a graphic card that uses PCIe instead of AGP.

Right now you can get a Sapphire 9800Pro for under $150, shipped, at the egg or a 6600GT for about $25 or so more. Both of those have pretty good performance for the $$$. For more performance you can go on up the line, but the point is that the AGP card's performance is not slacking, even with the "outdated" bus.

Last edited:
Back