• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Do You Think Of Mushkin Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XiaO8

Registered
I have it personally and its worked with 3 boards through a bunch of upgrades, i find its very good but is it just me or are they on the way out?

Quite the opposite actually. Mushkin is making some hard presses to regain their territory. So, no, they are not on their way out.

I have found Mushkin memory to be high quaility as well. Which sticks are yo usuing, if I may ask?

-Collin-

i had 2 256mb sticks of mushkin pc2700 that did 206 fsb with stock timeings of 2.5-3-3-7, and up to 216 fsb with 3-3-3-7, not bad, 50 mhz max oc.

I love my Mushkin Black BH-5 Memory. Best memory I have ever bought. 150 for 2 sticks of 256 and I'm running them at 240Mhz 1:1 2T-2-2-5 @ 3.1Vdimm. I highly recommend Mushkin to all my buddies.

Mate,

I've used Mushkin stuff recently and I must say it is pretty good .

// Colin*
My BH-5 is perfectly fine. It was a BIOS problem. Zero errors when tested again on the ASUS A8V!
//

However, their customer support needs to tighten up a wee bit. Make sure you read all the little disclaimers they put up first. There is no doubt that they make good quality modules, but I'm a bit dissappointed with their customer support.

Realistically speaking, most of the companies I've dealt with offer modules of comparable quality. I love my PDP XBLK's and their engineers are easy to get hold of. Same with Corsair and OCZ reps seem to be always around. Very little seperates these companies in terms of performance offerings. Apart from the price, the clincher for me is customer support. I'd be willing to fork out that extra $20 if my issues and whims are addressed with a minimum of fuss. :D

Ninja is their rep here and he's a pretty nice fellow to boot! :D

I'd conclude by asking you to go with the company you feel most comfortable dealing with.

Sorry if I've veered this thread off course. Just wanted to give you a different outlook.

S-N

NinjaZX6R said:
Quite the opposite actually. Mushkin is making some hard presses to regain their territory. So, no, they are not on their way out.

I have found Mushkin memory to be high quaility as well. Which sticks are yo usuing, if I may ask?

-Collin-

i have them listed in my sig, there work awesome, havent had any problems, and its good to hear there trying to push better business. I've always liked Mushkin

Super Nade said:
Mate,

I've used Mushkin stuff recently and I must say it is pretty good .

However, their customer support needs to tighten up a wee bit. Make sure you read all the little disclaimers they put up first. There is no doubt that they make good quality modules, but I'm a bit dissappointed with their customer support.
S-N

Can you please elaborate? How did we tighten up a wee bit? What did we do to make you dissappointed?

Duonger

Duonger said:
Can you please elaborate? How did we tighten up a wee bit? What did we do to make you dissappointed?

Duonger

I called regarding an RMA (my fault actually, later testing on another board made sure that the RAM was not to blame. Turned out to be a BIOS problem, but that is beside the point) and was told that the Mushkin Lvl 2 Blacks would be tested on an NF2 board.

The lady on the phone, Miss Diane, said that Muskin BH-5 have problems with Athlon64 chipsets. She said if the RAM was found to be faulty, she would have them replaced by TCC5's ! Surely, I don't wan't to trade-in my BH-5 for TCC5!

On asking her about the high voltage modules, she said, Mushkin does not make high Vltg modules. This is after you had posted screenies of the red-line modules. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that she was trying to get me to accept TCC5 stuff, when it was quite clear that you guys had UTT in the wings.

I just said "O.K" to all that she said because if it came down to an RMA, I could do nothing but accept what was given, simply because I did not read the disclaimer on the website which talks about warrenty being applicable to use in one system only, should have the invoice in hand, should not have bought it on e-bay/3rd party etc....(which, I think is not cool). I have not seen any other memory manufacturer have these restrictions. I have dealt with Patriot and Corsair before. All they said was, "send it to us and we will replace it ".

It would have been nice if she had atleast laid out the option of me getting UTT modules ( a delay notwithstanding). I did speak with Collin regarding these issues and quite frankly, he seemed a bit perplexed as well.

Finally, I don't wan't to RMA my modules as they are o.k. And, thanks for your inquiry :)

S-N

Last edited:
Super Nade said:
The lady on the phone, Miss Diane, said that Muskin BH-5 have problems with Athlon64 chipsets. She said if the RAM was found to be faulty, she would have them replaced by TCC5's ! Surely, I don't wan't to trade-in my BH-5 for TCC5!

S-N

Diane is in customer service, so she is there to help resolve any issue. Her suggestion was accurate and well thought. If you are having probs on the A64 board wit the the BH Utt, then why would u want another one. The TCC5 are what we use on our l2v3 parts so they are good parts.

Super Nade said:
On asking her about the high voltage modules, she said, Mushkin does not make high Vltg modules. This is after you had posted screenies of the red-line modules. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that she was trying to get me to accept TCC5 stuff, when it was quite clear that you guys had UTT in the wings.

S-N

She only knows of what parts that are existing and how to trouble shoot them. She is not in R&D and have no knowledge of the new parts we will be releasing so in here defense she was accurate to tell you what she did. Once we make customer service aware of the new products and train them how to troubleshoot/ customer care of the new line, then she would have suggested an alternative for you.

Super Nade said:
I just said "O.K" to all that she said because if it came down to an RMA, I could do nothing but accept what was given, simply because I did not read the disclaimer on the website which talks about warrenty being applicable to use in one system only, should have the invoice in hand, should not have bought it on e-bay/3rd party etc....(which, I think is not cool). I have not seen any other memory manufacturer have these restrictions. I have dealt with Patriot and Corsair before. All they said was, "send it to us and we will replace it ".
S-N

As you know, systems change and not all memory are made equal. What might work on 1 system is not guarantee on another. IE. home built PC vs Dell/ Compaq etc. You cas 2 parts will work in your home machine but will not work in a Dell or Campaq cuz those are cas 3 machines.

Ebay is another beast... we have had fraudulent parts sent back from customers who bought what they thought was Mushkin memory. They were getting a generic memory BUT with our heatspreaders on it. Some sellers we buying Mushkin memory, taking on the heatspreaders and putting it on generic/ god knows whose memory and selling it. We are protecting ourself and you to endsure who get what you pay for. You might feel that is it strict but we stand behind our products, not someoneelse product with our heatspreaders.

If you want to talk about this more, please email me or MSN me.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Duonger

Bon3thugz43v3r said:
I love my Mushkin Black BH-5 Memory. Best memory I have ever bought. 150 for 2 sticks of 256 and I'm running them at 240Mhz 1:1 2T-2-2-5 @ 3.1Vdimm. I highly recommend Mushkin to all my buddies.

I wouldn't call that anything special.

I think since the BH-5 craze, and the LVL II PC3500, Mushkin has not come out with anything worthing talking about.

I wouldn't call that anything special.

I think since the BH-5 craze, and the LVL II PC3500, Mushkin has not come out with anything worthing talking about.
Oh PMS Fishy, you and your acerbic responses. :p

I have to agree with you though. That overclock is pretty standard for BH-5. Although Mushkin did make arguably the best BH-5 sticks out there, after that they haven't offered anything spectacular. Most of what they have now can be matched, like someone said, by companies like PDP and PQI.

I can't make a judgement on their memory just yet since I'm still waiting for my RMA for the memory Mushkin received on 4/12/05. Once I get the RMA I'll make a decision as to whether I will ever bother with Mushkin again. The Redline memory looks promising but I'm leary about taking a chance with this company again. I'm guessing it will get here this week and if I'm satisfied maybe I'll do business with them again.... If not I'll put Mushkin on my personal ban list.

Duonger said:
Diane is in customer service, so she is there to help resolve any issue. Her suggestion was accurate and well thought. If you are having probs on the A64 board wit the the BH Utt, then why would u want another one. The TCC5 are what we use on our l2v3 parts so they are good parts.
Perhaps, you misunderstood me. I told her specifically the points where it failed memtest. Hence, I concluded that the modules were bad. Sentential is well aware of the tests I ran. I have seen plenty of people over at the DFI forums and at Xtremesys getting their BH-5 run screaming fast, hence I was hoping to obtain the same as a replacement.

She only knows of what parts that are existing and how to trouble shoot them. She is not in R&D and have no knowledge of the new parts we will be releasing so in here defense she was accurate to tell you what she did. Once we make customer service aware of the new products and train them how to troubleshoot/ customer care of the new line, then she would have suggested an alternative for you.
Allow me to make a suggestion here. If you guys (engineers) are showing us enthusiasts, the latest stuff, please put in a word to customer service. It would have been nice if she had told me ..."Hang on mate, we have new stuff coming out, but I can help you out with those only after the official release. Would you be willing to wait? " Better still, it would be really nice if she had gotten in touch with you guys to really understand what I was referring to.Minor things like these would go a long way with the enthusiast community.

I guess this is why OCZ stand out of the crowd. They bend over backwards to please us.

As you know, systems change and not all memory are made equal. What might work on 1 system is not guarantee on another. IE. home built PC vs Dell/ Compaq etc. You cas 2 parts will work in your home machine but will not work in a Dell or Campaq cuz those are cas 3 machines.
There again, it would be nice if you guys did wide ranging tests on many platforms, clearly stating the incompatability issues. But how come I have not faced any incompatability issue (at stock) with my other modules?
PS*These modules I have worked with a Dell! I guess this must be a freak case.

Ebay is another beast... we have had fraudulent parts sent back from customers who bought what they thought was Mushkin memory. They were getting a generic memory BUT with our heatspreaders on it. Some sellers we buying Mushkin memory, taking on the heatspreaders and putting it on generic/ god knows whose memory and selling it. We are protecting ourself and you to endsure who get what you pay for. You might feel that is it strict but we stand behind our products, not someoneelse product with our heatspreaders.

If you want to talk about this more, please email me or MSN me.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Duonger

I'm quite sure you aren't the only company facing this problem. This, I gather, is not consistently a significant percentage of your RMA's. So, by blanket banning any support resulting from invoiceless trade, you are doing a disservice to both us and yourself. Most of us trade here, on the forums, or elsewhere and I can assure you that the type of scamming you speak of is neither encouraged, nor does it occur here.

Finally, I hope you take what I have said in a positive light. Nobody or nothing is perfect and efforts to improve would surely be noticed and appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------

Guys, please refrain from personal attacks. If you are not satisfied with Mushkin, let Tom know. Calling somebody a B*** isn't going to help.

S-N

Last edited:
i let ian know and all i got was the run around from him. and it's true, she's pretty nasty.

Mate,

I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with them. I'm not sure I'd like the complications imposed either. Am I a demanding customer? Yes. Do I want unquestioned support and service, yes. If I don't get that, I'd go elsewhere.

scar, lets set personal feelings aside, please :)

PQI asks for a copy of the invoice before giving out RMA numbers as well. I don't think Mushkin is the only one requesting proof of purchase.

I did buy some Promo Build BH5 a while back and read their warranty disclaimer so I was fully aware of the one-machine stipulation. I believe that GEIL has the same kind of "lifetime" warranty...it is a product lifetime, not a human lifetime.

What this means is that anyone that has purchased Mushkin ram 2nd hand can go ahead and pull the heatspreaders off now as there is no need to worry about the warranty...it doesn't have any.

And for all of those out there that blasted me when I wrote that Mushkin was trying to play the Enthusiast game, but at the same time keep their corporate backsides covered...maybe you'll understand where I was coming from a little better now.

OCZ does not handle their RMA the same way and I speak from experience here, having RMA'ed a set of TCCD sticks (new) that I got off eBay, instead of from an official reseller. It was a no-hassle event from beginning to end. They build this "cost of doing business" into their pricing structure and then not worry about it, knowing that a satisfied customer comes back over and over, while the one that isn't makes sure his friends all know why.

I'm not knocking Mushkin here (I have Mushkin bh ram)...I'm just stating the obvious...differences in corporate mindset which you should be aware of and keep in mind when you buy parts.

Edit:

Darn you, Duonger, you snuck in a post while I was typing and now it appears that I was responding to you in some way... :)

Last edited:
Back