• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

creating more memory and need to know how to do it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XxSweetNessxX

can someone out there please help me, some of my programs arent being able to be run because this message comes up "cannot perform operation, memory to low." and i am also not able to burn cds. and i dont know how to fix these things. help is always accepted.

Which OS are you using?

If you're using Windows 98 or Windows ME, there's a known bug that reportedly causes false not enough memory error messages when installed on a PC (strangely) with 512 MB of RAM and more.

The solution is to add the following line to the [vcache] section in system.ini:

MaxFileCache=524288

----------------------------

i dont have anything special, its only 256mb 2100pc 2.5 Cas. running it on a windows xp system. its one of the cheap 400 computers

the memory type is ddr, and the module type is an unbuffered 184 pin the frequency is 200

in the "run" box, type "msconfig" then hit the "enter" key and then click the "startup" tab, then take the checks out of all unnecessary programs listed. The ones that have a check next to them are actually running. There is usually no need for them to run, except for anti-virus software. if you want to run one of those programs you unchecked, you can start it w/ its icon or from the program menu. This is how you free up memory. Then hit 'apply" and restart the computer. After it restarts, check the box that says, "dont show me this box again" it just a warning saying you have changed the config. Now if you still dont have enough, then order a 256 mb. stick of pc2700 or 3200 from NewEgg for about $25

How much virtual memory are you configured for ? This is the fix for computers configured with a marginal amount of memory. I assume you know how to increase the size of your swap disk...... If not I will be glad to lead you through the operation.

hey i know how to do the virtual memory thing through control panel and system and then from there on, but what else was it you menchioned

ok so how do you do the swap disk thing, because the msconfig thing im sure worked, but i still cant run programs like windows media player

You need to buy more mem, even though I'm pretty sure 256mb is enough memory. Virtual memory is a swap disk, it's a section of the hdd reserved to swap files, it is used when there isn't enough ram, the problem with it is that it is much slower then ram (there is more to it but you don't need to know). Try running a spy ware remover like ad aware.

Back