• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

corsair xms 512 ddr333 cl2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MailOrderSausag

surprise bh-6 on 3 year old dimm! see inside for pics of ghetto fan mount, plus oc!

good memory..... three years ago on a kt333 platform.

i haven't upgraded. it still runs great, at stock speeds, 2-3-3-7, @ stock volts, mhz.

never had any real success oc'ing it. never really tried.

anyone else have any similar memory? heatspreader is on, so i don't know the chips.

EDIT:

this stuff is bh-6!!! scroll down for pics of ghetto fan mount!!!

Last edited:
well, it's too bad that no one is excited about this but me, but i've been fooling around with timings/voltage, etc.

turns out, this dimm won't post @ 3.0cas. darn. only @2.0 and 2.5. w007zorz!

so anyway, stock for this stick is 2.6v, 166mhz, 2-3-3-7.

right now, with 220htt, i've got ...... 220mhz 2-2-2-7 @3.1v

i just passed a memtest @ 220mhz, 2-2-2-7, 3.1v

i'm running memtest @ 230 mhz, 2-2-2-7, 3.1v

i never tried to push this memory like this. i'll post a screenshot of cpu-z with the model number of the dimm, on this ddr333 dimm! then showing it overclocking like mad by 50 mhz (did i say super-tight timings too? oh i didn't.... well, supertight timings!)

i guess i got my $150 worth back in july 2002

i tested @ 230mhz.... it passed
i tested @ 240mhz.... it passed
i tested @ 250mhz.... i had 17 errors in the first minute. damn, no ddr500 for me.

anyway, testing @245mhz right now, about 1/3 thorugh test w/o error (memtest86, that is)

if it can make it through a single test, that's about all you need right? i mean, i like to run prime95 all night, but how much memtest, just for a ballpark figure on stability?

ok, 245mhz has errors coming out the wazooo. (i'm on my lappy on the couch, watching the red fill up the screen. i thought that since everyone was so interested, i'd give plenty of updates here. i think maybe 2 people have read this thread. if you got this far, thanks!)

i guess it's a reboot @ 243.

edit:

243 failed with flying colors, but 242 is about to pass. 243 didn't fail that bad, only 8 errors, and not all at once. once 242 passes, i'll run some benchies, with some screenshots, and goodies.

Last edited:
MailOrderSausag said:
if it can make it through a single test, that's about all you need right? i mean, i like to run prime95 all night, but how much memtest, just for a ballpark figure on stability?

For a quick memory stability test loop test #5 for at least 15-30 minutes before increasing the mhz. It takes at least that long for them to fully heat up.

One pass of memtest is not a stability test.

Put a fan on them and increase the voltage. Good Luck.

Edit: I wouldn't try to boot at 242 if 243 gave errors after 1 pass and you only test 242 with one pass. You probably will corrupt your windows install.

242ddr166xms.jpg

so i should run a lot of test 5 then? gotcha. i'll do that, but i've been working on this for hours. it's time to play.

*sniffs the air* Smells like old Winbond to me. :) It's hard to beat the classics. Glad you're getting so much out of a three-year-old ,166Mhz-rated stick. Let us know what you end up getting her stable at.

Oh, and 8 errors at 243 isn't bad at all ... probably stable in Windows just fine. If you wanted to "burn in" this ram (which many believe will give better results), set it back to the settings you had where it was giving you just a few errors (like it was at 243Mhz), but not a truckload, and leave it looping Test #5 all night (Memtest is like most stability testing ... to really say "it's stable," give it up to 24 hours. I usually stop at 8 to 12 because I end up needing the computer again).

After it loops Test #5 for hours upon end, restart the system and start looping again. With any luck, the number of errors will be drastically lower or non-existant.

Raise the speed, rinse and repeat. If it keeps giving errors regardless, raise the voltage up some more. Keep it up until you reach that happy max speed you can get without errors (or be like some people here, who don't mind a few errors per loop, and run a little higher).

Probably be a good idea to have a fan blowing air over the ram as well. If you DO have Winbond chips in that ram, you can most likely go up to 3.6 volts without worry about anything. But if you don't or don't know, I wouldn't push past 3.3 volts myself (and since you've already voided the warranty by adding volts, you can always pull those heatspreaders off and find out for sure. :D Your ram will likely be a bit cooler without them, anyway).

i got this from the xtreme systems ram list thing

XMS-PC2700C2 Rev1.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> maybe Winbond BH-6/Samsung TCB3
XMS-PC2700C2 Rev1.2 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond CH-6
XMS-PC2700C2 Rev1.3 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Mosel Vitelic (6ns?)
XMS-PC2700C2 Rev2.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Micron (6ns rev B)/Samsung TCB3
XMS-PC2700LL Rev1.1 (2-2-2-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond BH-6
XMS-PC2700LL Rev1.2 (2-2-2-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond CH-6

the rev thing should be wrote on the side on a sticker. im guessing its either the bh-6 or the ch-6 variety which cant be a bad thing :) . getting 40 - 50mhz out of ram that u hadn't really tested cant be a bad discovery. i was shocked when i found out the ram id had sitting im my comp for a year was ch-5 and did 255mhz .

i got this from the xtreme systems ram list thing

Quote:
XMS-PC2700C2 Rev1.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> maybe Winbond BH-6/Samsung TCB3
XMS-PC2700C2 Rev1.2 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond CH-6
XMS-PC2700C2 Rev1.3 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Mosel Vitelic (6ns?)
XMS-PC2700C2 Rev2.1 (2-3-3-6-1T) --chip--> Micron (6ns rev B)/Samsung TCB3
XMS-PC2700LL Rev1.1 (2-2-2-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond BH-6
XMS-PC2700LL Rev1.2 (2-2-2-6-1T) --chip--> Winbond CH-6

mine isn't any of these, stock timings are 2-3-3-7-1T

yes folks, heatspreader off.....

::drum roll::

it's bh-6! all my other mobos would only go to vdimm 2.8, so that's why i never clocked it like its clockin' now.

holy baseballs batman

Well, I for one am excited about your overclock.

I've got a set of Corsair PC3200 with bh6 that I picked up recently from a member here and they just fly. On an MSI K8N Neo2/3000 combo with a Booster I was able to hit 250 at 3.4v and topped out at 263 with 3.7v. That bh6 just loves voltage!

It was just cool to watch them climb on up. The really funny thing for me was that just today I read an older (early 2003) review of some PC2700 and the reviewer stated that he didn't ever consider it safe to run ram at 2.8v or beyond. I wonder what he thinks about that DFI NF4 board and the 4.0v it has available to it.

MailOrderSausag said:
mine isn't any of these, stock timings are 2-3-3-7-1T

Just FYI, only pay attention to those first three timings when considering what stock is ... that last number people change on a regular basis between the list them on their sites, and the sticks may or may not actually have that last number as its SPD timings. Some will post 2-3-3-5, 2-3-3-6, 2-3-3-7 .... most users on nForce2 motherboards actually run x-x-x-11, because it seems to be the most stable. For most, the first three numbers are the most indicative of the speed. (some systems like the new DFI NF4 allow for a plethora of other tweaks, as well, though)

The important thing would be the revision number on the side of your sticks. But it's all a moot point now, because you've left nothing to the imagination and scored big when you took off those heatspreaders. Way to go! :D

Now I just need to convince my old roommate to left me have his Corsair XMS PC3200 Rev 1.1. He runs stock speeds at 2.7 volts and never plans to do anything more with them. Makes me sick. lol.

Now I just need to convince my old roommate to left me have his Corsair XMS PC3200 Rev 1.1. He runs stock speeds at 2.7 volts and never plans to do anything more with them. Makes me sick. lol.

for so long, i couldn't feed her any juice, my mobo didn't allow it, and i didn't have a booster. i just thought she was a terrible oc'er. NEVER gave me ANY problems @stock, though, a fine performer, outlasted 3 toasted athlonxp's, 2 toasted mobos, one toasted psu, 4 toasted vid cards......

she seems to be doing fine now @242.

also, as for tras, i used to run my in nforce2 @tras12. i remember a review where tras 7and8 were best for the 250gb, so that's what i put 'er at. time to see if 6,7,8,or 9 is best.

this is turning out to be a great deal, my max ram and cpu oc go right with each other, mem=240-250, cpu=2400-2500.

muy bueno

Last edited:
going to bed here......

memtest86 test 5 ran for two straight hours @3.1v, 242mhz, not one error.

been priming for the last hour, same memory setting, with a cpux10 multi. i lowered my vcore just a little, (was never really prime stable @2500 @1.7vcore, ,anyway) lowered htt, and i'm good now at 2420mhz.

so, system specs now:

3000 newcastle @1.663volts, 2420mhz
bh-6, 512mb 242mhz 2-2-2-10 @3.1v
htt=242, no ram divider, just a 10 cpu multi

been rock stable for the past few hours, ram doesn't go higher, cpu is nice and stable.

i'll check back tommorow night, (i work all day wednesday) but i'll let this burn in a lil.

Back