• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another on utt or tccd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfi

Disabled
Hi all!

iam palnning to get mamory for my dfi nf4 venice setup and i know i want ocz i just can't decide either i want the VX or el platinum rev 2 tccd mem.

I don't mind running high volt on the mem since the dfi ccan take it, i just can't decide whichone i want.
which would overclock higher.

Can someone give me some advice or opinion!

thxx a lot.

I'm gonna cut and paste this since I responded to this question yesterday...

"would you rather run your system with high vdimm (3.4v) for the UTT or do you want to run your system with 2.7-2.8v to power the TCCD? Is this gonna be a computer you leave on 24/7 or just turn on from time to time for normal usage? Certainly the TCCD would be less stressful on the parts but if you need the highest possible benchmarks you might want to go with the UTT if you have the volts for it."

With that said, what mb are you gonna use? In my experience my best bandwidth scores have come from the UTT and depending where you get your ram, the UTT will be half as expensive.....

Get the TCCD. The DFI board has problems long term when you set the vdimm jumper to use the 5v rail. You'll eventually have cold start problems and long beeps instead of posts.

Get the TCCD. The DFI board has problems long term when you set the vdimm jumper to use the 5v rail. You'll eventually have cold start problems and long beeps instead of posts.

Is this a widespread problem or is it confined to a few individuals? I remember reading about there being possible problems because of the heat generated in the MOSFET's (due to using the VDIMM jumper on the DFI board) but I havn't read about any people actually having this problem.

-Adrayic

Mate,

You can get some cheap TCCD if you look around. I think both Sentential and Reefa Madness posted deals for TCCD < $200. If you cannot afford the GSkill's I would heartily recommend PDP Patriot XBLK's. I can run them at 285MHz (Memtest stable upto 306MHz, can do better with a bit of tweaking).

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220033

A very decent price of $218 for a gig.

s0ulcal12 said:
Is there a big difference between the 3200 and 4000 utt....there is a 100 dollor difference.

I am building a system around the 3700SD.

Yes their is...most 3200's will not OC over 240 at 2-2-2 while the default for the 4000's is 250 at 2-2-2...

glock19owner said:
Yes their is...most 3200's will not OC over 240 at 2-2-2 while the default for the 4000's is 250 at 2-2-2...

What about the rev2? Is the rev2 a better choice than 3200vx, prices are pretty close. I dont want to spend more than 250 on ram.

if been pumping 3.4-3.5v 24/7 since the day i got my dfi with no problems at all, VX would be perfect for the 3700+ san diego since it has an 11x multi, i just recieved a new set of VX 3200 and was able to hit 255 right out of the box, VX 3200 are still tested for 240mhz with 3.2 or 3.3v, 3.5-3.6v is the sweet spot for UTT

bobmanfoo said:
VX 3200 are still tested for 240mhz with 3.2 or 3.3v, 3.5-3.6v is the sweet spot for UTT

3200 VX's are tested to run up to 240 at 3.5v...while the 4000's are tested to run up to 255 8-2-2-2 at 3.4v

bobman - those are some sweet results for the 3200 kit. Hopefully mine will get close to that :)

-Adrayic

if the VX is tested to run 240mhz at 3.5v then there wouldn't be much room to go higher than 240mhz, going from 3.5v to 3.6v will give you 5mhz max

well for the UTT vs TCCD battle: do you want super fast 240-260 range or do you want super fast 300+ range? TCCD scales much higher then UTT

I decide to just go all out and get OCZ 4000VX.

I ordered the dfi LP ultra-d, and also the AMD 3700 san diego. Wish me luck. I need help on other stuff. i will post it in the correct forums. Thank for the help on the memory.

I still need to pick up a case and psu. everything else is set.

Adrayic said:
Is this a widespread problem or is it confined to a few individuals? I remember reading about there being possible problems because of the heat generated in the MOSFET's (due to using the VDIMM jumper on the DFI board) but I havn't read about any people actually having this problem.

-Adrayic

No the vdimm regulator mosfet must get good airflow w/ JP17 set to use the 5v rail. This is common knowledge as it gets very hot. The problem is that the board reverts to 2.6v for vdimm on a regular basis for some reason. For instance I put two very good clocking UTT sticks in the board that require 3.5v to function at 260(DDR520) w/ 2-2-2-x timings. All is well for a time, but if I shut down, wait awhile, and restart all I get is long beeps & 3 diagnostic lights(memory error). If I swap out both UTT sticks for an old stick of ram I can get the board to post and though it's still set to 3.5vdimm it indicates and measures 2.6v. Usually after another shutdown I can swap the UTT sticks back in and post, but not always and the boards' strange behavior seems to worsen over time till it won't work with UTT at all. I now have had 3 DFI ultra-D boards that all exhibit this peculiar behavior.

ditto that for me as well - ive only had 1 board though...and in all cases my ram has been 100% fine...........its for sure a board "issue" as none of my sticks were dead or defective or whatever........shame too - that last kit of vx3200 could do 268 error free in memtest...........oh well tccd will be fine too ;)

TimoneX said:
No the vdimm regulator mosfet must get good airflow w/ JP17 set to use the 5v rail. This is common knowledge as it gets very hot. The problem is that the board reverts to 2.6v for vdimm on a regular basis for some reason. For instance I put two very good clocking UTT sticks in the board that require 3.5v to function at 260(DDR520) w/ 2-2-2-x timings. All is well for a time, but if I shut down, wait awhile, and restart all I get is long beeps & 3 diagnostic lights(memory error). If I swap out both UTT sticks for an old stick of ram I can get the board to post and though it's still set to 3.5vdimm it indicates and measures 2.6v. Usually after another shutdown I can swap the UTT sticks back in and post, but not always and the boards' strange behavior seems to worsen over time till it won't work with UTT at all. I now have had 3 DFI ultra-D boards that all exhibit this peculiar behavior.

Back