• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel board not seeing the full memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winterhavok

I have a D845GVSR intel motherboard and I installed a 512MB DDR memory module and the computer is still picking it up only as a 256. I traded out the 256 (and it worked fine) with the 512 and I am not sure what is going on, any suggestions or ideas that I might be overlooking?

Well I was thinking along the same line as Avg. However what brand is it? What are the numbers on the modules? Did you try it in a different slot? Does it show up as 512mb in another system? What bios are you using? Are you overclocking?

I've seen this happening before and the problem was that the board didn't support mem modules with two banks and that caused it to only read half of the ram, and my guess is that this is the reason why you only see 256mb, post the name of the ram so we can check it out.

How many modules are there on each side? A pic would be nice.
[edit] Is it possible to read the numbers off the modules?

Last edited:
well hold on, I am gonna have to take apart the case to find the part number, though the Apacer site said that I need the memory module AM512LD53U266

Well I figured out what happened, the stupid tech support at the shop placed a 256MB within a 512MB package. They removed the sticker on there, which is why I couldn't tell at first until I started to run the numbers through the Apacer database. Ugh, guess I will have to go tomorrow back to the shop and have them either give me a 512 stick or another 256, whichever.

Disregard my last post, glad you got it straitened out, sounds like somebody tried to rip you off, not cool at all.

Not sure if they meant to rip me off, the shop tends to switch out memory for their customers so it's an honest mistake. Went there this morning and switched out the 256MB Apacer stick for a 512MB Kingston PC2700.

Back