• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Guidance UTT/TCCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PowerEdge

Some Guidance UTT/TCCD/OCZ VX?

Hi I'm buying a new computer and have already ordered the Motherboard and processor(DFI Lan Party Ultra D & Venice AMD64 3200+). I plan on overclocking and im not familiar with all these new timings and speeds involved with ram. I've been doing some research for the last week and have some questions and might need some guidance. I would like to try and overclock my 3200+ to the 2.8 that most review websites have been getting the new venice and I'm not really sure as to what ram chip to use to try and get me there (and I wouldn't like to use a booster). Currently I have Kingston HyperX 3200+ that is CH-5. As far as I know this ram wont achieve a high enough speed to get me to 2.8. As far as my understanding goes, TCCD ram is low latency(2-2-2-5) and low voltage till about 240MHz and then you gotta go to a higher latency 2.5.x.x.x and UTT will reach a higher speed 260MHz at a lower latency but require more voltage at this speed. I have also looked at OCZ VX and I'm seeing good speeds and low latency, supposedly comparable to BH-5(Click Here for info on OCZ VX ) and would save me alot of money. I'm really confused as what ram to get at this point that will allow me to reach 2.8ghz bus speed wise and with the lowest latency.

1. Will UTT allow me to reach a high enough speed without a booster?

2. Is it better to just get TCCD ram to have a sure bet, and does the increased timings really put a huge damper on performace?

3. Is the OCZ VX even in the same ballpark, will it allow me to hit 2.8ghz?

4. What recommendations can you give as to what ram to get within a reasonable price ($220 or less shipped, the cheaper without dampering perforamce the better).

Really if you could just give me a good recommendation instead of me having to go out and keep buying different rams and learning myself (since im not rich) that would be really helpful.

BTW: So from what I know I have decided between these two chips for TCCD and I really have no clue which route to go for UTT maybe you can give me some recommendations:

2x512 Mushkin L2V2 (991357) TCCD 2-2-2-5 $199 Free Fedex Saver
2x512 OCZ EL Platinum Rev2 (OCZ4001024ELDCPER2) TCCD 2-2-2-5 $224 Free Fedex Saver

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well you wouldn't need a booster because the DFI boards allow up to 4v on the vDimm. If you really want low latencies at high speed get UTT.

Have you ever pumped volts thru you ch-5? They have an internal regulator that act differently w/ volt (I think 3.1). It is possible if you got some good chips you could get 250 or so w/ 222X. I know this won't get you to 2.8 w/o a divider. As far as timings go vs. mhz it takes about 300mhz tccd to equal 250-260mhz bh or ch ram w/ 222X timings.

saltytheseagull said:
Have you ever pumped volts thru you ch-5? They have an internal regulator that act differently w/ volt (I think 3.1). It is possible if you got some good chips you could get 250 or so w/ 222X. I know this won't get you to 2.8 w/o a divider. As far as timings go vs. mhz it takes about 300mhz tccd to equal 250-260mhz bh or ch ram w/ 222X timings.

Well to be honest the HyperX are sitting to the right of me, I havent opened them yet, because I wasn't sure if its better to just return them and buy new ram so I'm not even sure of their potential. Only reason i've been hesitating is because I ordered them online and would have to eat $20 in shipping if I returned them.

There is a great deal on OCZ pc3200el plat rev 2 on Newegg, $200, prolly one of the best buys for the $$ atm. With that RAM you will likely be able to run 280FSB x 10 @ 1:1 = 2800Mhz with timings of 2.5-4-3-5. OCZ 3200VX is also pretty cheap (not sure of the price) and you may be able to get it to 254 FSB @ 2-2-2 x11 multi = 2800Mhz. This will be slightly better performance than the TCCD I listed above however you will need about 3.5v and active cooling for the VX. Theres 2 options within your budget, hope it helped.

You do not need a booster because your MB will do up to 3.7v or so.

EDIT: Shoot the 3200 will not have a 11x multi, nm what I said above about the 11x, you will have to use a divider instead to reach 2800Mhz with the VX.

Eldonko said:
EDIT: Shoot the 3200 will not have a 11x multi, nm what I said above about the 11x, you will have to use a divider instead to reach 2800Mhz with the VX.

so this leads to my next question. Would it be better performance wise to not use a divider and go with the TCCD or would it be a viable option to go with the VX and use a divider? BTW how much a performance difference are we looking at from 2-x-x-x- to 2.5-x-x-x. If its nanoseconds difference maybe I should just go with TCCD for the sure bet? Any more information would still be much appreciated.

SOY_SET said:
You can give a glance to this Topic...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60627

There a little is spoken on the subject .

Greetings

Now Im utterly confused, now it seems that it could be possible to use the CH-5 and see how far I can push them. As long as I use a divider. Does this seem right. Getting BH-5 chips seems to be hard nowadays. And then there are these OCZ VX chips I could try and see where they lead me. I've now read multiple forums stating that using a divider on these new chips is not a huge deal. Im really leaning towards getting the OCZ VX chips now, but if someone could give me a little more input maybe stating that I can't/shouldn't use my CH-5 then ill be more sure. Ya...im a indecisive person.

PowerEdge said:
so this leads to my next question. Would it be better performance wise to not use a divider and go with the TCCD or would it be a viable option to go with the VX and use a divider? BTW how much a performance difference are we looking at from 2-x-x-x- to 2.5-x-x-x. If its nanoseconds difference maybe I should just go with TCCD for the sure bet? Any more information would still be much appreciated.

It all depends on how your memory clocks, for example 2.5-4-4-5 at 300Mhz is about the same as 2-2-2-6 at 255-260Mhz performance wise. However, you are not guaranteed to get 300Mhz with TCCD, nor 260 with Bh.

Same crap different pile really, whatever floats your boat. neither is a bad choice and which is better has been argued in 100s of threads already. Personally I would go with TCCD with a 3200 so you can run at 1:1. Sometimes dividers are wonky and if your MB and mem controller won't play nice its a PITA.

my ch-5 goes to 250 - 255 @ 3.3 v then i need about 3.5 for 260 . still not bad seeing as i only found out it was ch-5 after a year of having it :) if only my nf-7 had 3.3v option when it was there :p

dtc said:
my ch-5 goes to 250 - 255 @ 3.3 v then i need about 3.5 for 260 . still not bad seeing as i only found out it was ch-5 after a year of having it :) if only my nf-7 had 3.3v option when it was there :p

Thanks for all the feedback, for the time being I think I'll keep my ch-5 and use a divider. Ill burn it in and see what it can do. If it doesn't perform well I'll just ebay it and buy another ram.

Last edited:
The good thing about the A64 setups is that running a memory divider doesn't really hurt you. If your RAM can only do 200MHz, you'd still be able to run your processor at 2.8GHz (if it will do it).

CJ

saltytheseagull said:
Have you ever pumped volts thru you ch-5? They have an internal regulator that act differently w/ volt (I think 3.1). --
There are absolutely no voltage regulators in Winbond CH-5 ICs.

CJ4 said:
The good thing about the A64 setups is that running a memory divider doesn't really hurt you. If your RAM can only do 200MHz, you'd still be able to run your processor at 2.8GHz (if it will do it).

CJ
Yeah that's true. I used to run at 190mhz with the CPU at 2.6ghz and it worked just fine. Switched to TCCD now though. got 8k more points in Aquamark (8 frames) out of it wich is quite a lot performance IMO.

Back