• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I run 4 sticks of this in dual channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Category 5

I had this running 2-3-2-5 at 400fsb in dual channel mode (only 2 sticks). If I get another two sticks can I still run dual channel mode? Will I likely have to loosen the timings?

I tried running 2GB with 2 geil and 2 Kingston but I couldn't pass memtest at ANY timings (even the loosest) so I imagine if I get 4 sticks of the same ram I could do it.

I could also buy 2 sticks of 1GB but the timings are REAL loose on all the sticks I see at newegg, and I may need some extra FSB clocks in the future so the DDR500 will be handy to have around.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144517

So what say the ram gurus? 4 sticks okay in dual channel?

Shane

You will have at least 2 problems. First 4x512 will run at 333fsb and secondly they will have to ne run at 2t, which slows things down even further. These problems will negate aby performance gains from goung to 2 gigs. If you get a new Venice core it will run at 400fsb and hopefully 1t. Good luck.

Keep in mind I am using Intel based systems. I know 4 sticks can be run in dual channel mode, I just don't know what happens to the timings.

I am hoping that if I use two pairs of the same memory I can maintain the same timings as when using only a single pair.

I work in photoshop on LARGE files all day long and the swap file has got my hair falling out.

Shane

I have personally ran 4 matched sticks on Intel rigs with no problem and they were dual channel. They all should be the same RAM for best results. Worse case is you won't get quite as high of an O/C.

I'm running two different pairs of ram on my (now old) p4G8X; my overclock dropped from 170FSB to 160FSB at looser timings, then went back up to 164 after sinking the mosfets and changing the northbridge heatsink: the board is a limiting factor here, as individually the sticks run at 170...

Category 5 said:
Keep in mind I am using Intel based systems. I know 4 sticks can be run in dual channel mode, I just don't know what happens to the timings.

I am hoping that if I use two pairs of the same memory I can maintain the same timings as when using only a single pair.

I work in photoshop on LARGE files all day long and the swap file has got my hair falling out.

Shane
I didn't realize it was Intel as it wasn't in the first post. Sorry, my statement was for A64 systems and doesn't apply to Intel.

Back