• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whose got the best heatspreaders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quicksilverXP

Which company do you think has the best heatspreaders? I like Kingston's Hyper-X, because it matches them perfectly I believe. What does everyone else think?

*edit* Guys. This isn't for the effectiveness on heatspreaders. This is just for which company's memory aesthetics look the best. That's it.

Last edited:
i think that heatspreaders suck. imo, they are insulators that keep the chips hot. the material that they (they=corsair) use to stick the heatspreader on the chips is a foamy, gooey, sticky-icky-icky(not the good kind) gluish/foam substance (reminds of thin mounting tape) that i would never imagine being even a decent thermal conductor.

also, my heatspreaders kept me from realizing that i had bh-6 in my machine. i just realized that today, added .4v, and oc'd 70 mhz at super-tight timings.

i am anti-heatspreader. until individual chips have heatsinks with arctic adheside, i think that heatspreaders are heatTRAPPERS.

The heatspreaders of my Geil Ultra X TCCD get superhot. I think they don't have mucgh use. If i place a fan in front of the RAM they don't get warm at all though so maybe they help a bit if you active cool the RAM.

On ething i know for sure though: I'd never ever invest a cent into RAM heatspreaders if they didn't come with it allready. It'S a waste of money.

I agree. They are there to protect and for tamper-proof purposes. But my intent was not to ask whether or not they are effective. Even I myself take them off for overclocking. My real intent is just who has the best looking aesthetics. No need to go into effectiveness.

quicksilverXP said:
I agree. They are there to protect and for tamper-proof purposes. But my intent was not to ask whether or not they are effective. Even I myself take them off for overclocking. My real intent is just who has the best looking aesthetics. No need to go into effectiveness.
Then my Geil Ultra X have good ones. As someone mentioned above for OCZ the geil have shiny chrome ones as well. They look extremely good and valuable with those sinks.

I like Crucial's Tracers now that I think about it. I like gunmetal grey, and I'm not into that shiny stuff.

Zulu-1 said:
i think corsair's are the best, because they area actual heatsinks
not just metal plates...

true... they've got little fins on them. I don't know exactly how effective they are though...

OCZ for sure...........that shiny chrome looks awesome. I actually like heatspreaders because I'm less nervous about picking up my ram if it has spreaders on it. Just put a fan over it and you'll be fine whether it insulates or actually helps.

i popped mine off (corsair) and now they do the max speeds .1v lower . either that or i forgot what V they needed before :p

I haven't ever seen a physically "mutilated" RAM-module.
This does not count some people gluing the ramsinks on and then pulling them out - leaving IC in your hand

I'd prefer different PCB color for OCZ - if the looks matter.

oh now these are the best right here......must be for all the girlie OC'ers out there....

Attachments

• 20-220-006-06.JPG
    20-220-006-06.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 157
Back