• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to tell winbond?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zamac_man

Registered
without taking the ram out. I just learned of this chip while looking for new memory. This is kingston vr, is there anyway to find out without opening the case?

When you say without opening the case just what do you mean?

Are you referring to the heatspreaders or to the packaging?

The chips have identifiable markings...if you can see the chips then there are ways to tell just by looking at them.

So the question is...can you see the chips?

no, it does not have heat spreaders. I just was not wanting to take off the side of the case but it shoulnd't be a problem. How do I tell by looking at the chips?

Ignore the fact that this is non existent BH-4 and note the identifying marks which make it easy to pick out a Winbond chip.

Attachments

• Identifying_Marks_BH-4_ES.jpg
    Identifying_Marks_BH-4_ES.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 128
I was wanting to get a gig of pc3200 ram and was thinking about getting the geil value ram. Newegg has it for like $88 but I don't think it has the winbond chip. I am not wanting to loose much overclockabilty. Right now on my kingston VR pc2700 I am running at 2.0-2-2-5, with a 260mhz FSB. Thats pretty good for value ram right?

FSB:DRam 3:2

For it to run at 2-2-2 is good. There are actually several chips that can do that at under 200MHz, but the number starts to decline once you exceed 200MHz. It is still good performance.

For the record, what markings/codes are on those PC2700 sticks (on the actual chips)?

Reefa_Madness said:
For it to run at 2-2-2 is good. There are actually several chips that can do that at under 200MHz, but the number starts to decline once you exceed 200MHz. It is still good performance.

For the record, what markings/codes are on those PC2700 sticks (on the actual chips)?

I can't take my ram out without taking my video card out, and I really don't feel like that but, it looks like the chips my say V5BC2258804SAT5 above that it has a circle with 3 sets of 3 dots on it.

P1010004.jpg

that is the best pic I can get

or do i need to look at the other side?

would it be better for me to buy another stick of this or a 2x512mb geil pc3200 value ram? I have a 2.4c and asus p4p800

Try your stick with the 5:4 ratio and see what it does. Your 2.4's max is probably more than the 260 you're currently running. It will probably max in the 270-280 range (yes there are those that do better and there are those that can't break 250) which means that at 200 (and 5:4) you can run 250, to hit 263, 269, 275, 281, 288, 294 or 300, you need your ram at 210, 215, 220, 225, 230, 235 and 240, respectively. I would doubt that your current stick will do the upper end of that range but you won't know without trying it. If it does, then the cheapest way, obviously, is to get a second stick.

If it won't, then...

With ram prices so low now you can pick up a gig of something for under $100 that will run 220 or so and maybe even up to 240 or you could consider spending a little more and finding some Hynix, either bt-d43 or d-5. This will run you in the $120-$180 range, give or take, but you will be able to max your proc at 1:1 most likely, or for sure with the 5:4 ratio.

You should be able to notice a nice improvement running 270 at 1:1 (or even with the 5:4 ratio) in dual-channel vs 260 with a 3:2 ratio in single channel, as the increased bandwidth from the dual-channel alone would boost your performance.

Hope that helped more than confused.

Last edited:
I have it at 5:4 with a 225fsb, is this better than what I did have it when it was set on auto? I had to change my timings to 2.5-3-3-6

I had fsb:dram on 3:4 I think, with like a 260fsb

I got up to 240fsb with the 5:4 and same timings and it locked up. I think it was heat, mine always locks up at 115F :shrug: its kinda warm right now

trying 1:1 now 210fsb is benching pretty good on sandra

got to 220 and still working.

Last edited:
Back