• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Ram or Better Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I am advising a friend in building a comp and he has enough money in his budge for either of 512 stick of nice ram (BH-5 or TCCD) or 1gig of valueram.

What would you guys suggest. he is thinking about upgrading the ram either way pretty soon.

I was thinking the 512 would be better because currently you can run just about anything of of 512mbs or RAM and since he is getting a venice core he will have better luck overclocking, and for an upgrade he wont have to sell his ram, only buy another stick

He is getting a Venice 3200+ and the DFI lanparty, with an X800XL

what does your friend do with the comp?

If they are going to buy memory soon anyways, might as well get something good now like UTT or TCCD and getting another stick later.

1 gig of TwinMos Speed Premium from Newegg. It will go nice with the DFI. I would have suggested the Mushkin Blue, but I don't know if they are still using UTT or not. I don't think I have seen anyone getting less than 250 MHz on the TwinMos. I had some TMII that did 256 MHz right away, no burn in. My Mushkins are all over 250 MHz. I would definately go for 1 gig though. I think TCCD is over priced and don't have much interest in it unless the price goes to ~ $120/gig. For the price of 1 gig TCCD, you can get 2 gigs UTT.

If it's short term, he is better off with the 512 of tccg provided he doesn't end up paying 25 percent more by getting it 512 at a time. Otherewise, they'd be better off with the value GSkill for $100 for 2X512.

tccg!? I want some of those, what are they, like PC5500? What kind of latency do they have and do they like voltage?

josanai said:
tccg!? I want some of those, what are they, like PC5500? What kind of latency do they have and do they like voltage?
Tccg? duh! Just bad typing. I meant tccd. Sorry.

TheGreySpectre said:
I am advising a friend in building a comp and he has enough money in his budge for either of 512 stick of nice ram (BH-5 or TCCD) or 1gig of valueram.

What would you guys suggest. he is thinking about upgrading the ram either way pretty soon.

I was thinking the 512 would be better because currently you can run just about anything of of 512mbs or RAM and since he is getting a venice core he will have better luck overclocking, and for an upgrade he wont have to sell his ram, only buy another stick

He is getting a Venice 3200+ and the DFI lanparty, with an X800XL

No contest at all.
Get the 1 GB.

No computer now should come with 512 MB.

When I bought my new system 1 year ago (actually 1.1 yrs), I went with 1 GB, because I knew back then that 512mb simply didn't cut it. Now I have 2 GB (1 gb sticks), @ 2.5-3-2-8, and I can put my two 512's in anytime for 3 GB (though that will require 3-3-3-8).

Back