• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GSKILL unstable @ stock settings... :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdhunter

I bought this RAM from Newegg and have had nothing but problems with it on my K8NS Ultra 939.

Here is what I can do:
I can simultaneously run Prime + memtest 9 hours stable (on my 3000+ winny) with BIOS set to 133 (160MHz effective speed) @ RAM stock default 2-3-3-6 settings. The bus was set at 250x9 perfectly stable. I can raise the bus further while maintaining stability, but I really don't care for the extra speed.

Here is what I can't do:
I cannot run the CPU at default speed using BIOS default settings at any CAS setting whatsoever with the RAM, including 3-4-4-8. To translate, the CPU default 200MHz speed/bus is unstable. I get blue screens/registry hive errors, etc.

Any attempt at running this RAM at 200MHz results in Prime failing within 1 minute (usually instantly) and memtest finding errors even before starting. I can return stability by setting the RAM to 193MHz (and underclocking my CPU) using bios settings. At 193MHz it is only Prime95 stable for ~1 hour max, but memtest will fail within 20 minutes. This occurs in Single- or Dual-channel modes. I left memtest on for 5 minutes and there were over 100 errors.

What do you guys think? A friend of mine also ordered this RAM from Newegg, and while his IS stable at default speeds, it cannot post over 218MHz at 1:1 with any amount of voltage or CAS settings.

I personally just want 200MHz stable operation. Anything more is just headroom to me.

Am I wrong in assuming that this is a RAM problem? I am kind of bummed because I am at week 6 of RMA'ing motherboards and now RAM. Looks like I am going to await another 3 weeks to ship from NY to CA to NY again. :(

I just built a comp for a friend w/ this ram on an NF7-s mobo. To get it completely stable, I had to set it at cas3, 4-4-10, at 3.0 volts to get 200fsb. If it doesnt work, try more voltage. if that doent work, rma it

Damn. Thats a lot of voltage to put into RAM that Newegg spec'd for 2.65v operation. :)

My motherboard maxes out at 2.8v so that isn't an option for me. Even if it was, I'd probably wouldn't want the sticks if it needed 3v to run at those timings. The RMA has already been setup and I am buying some cheap *** DDR for the meantime until I receive a replacement.

Back