• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of ddr2 for P4 setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryanmartini

Well im looking at the P4 LGA775 and I am trying to figure out what kind of memmory i need to get that would get me the best performance. I understand that ddr2 has much higher latency that regular ddr. The cpu will most likely be a 6xx series so the jump to 4ghz will be hoped for! ;) What is important when doing an intel system? Timings or Speed?

I dunno I've been looking around and I also wanna hit 4ghz and whatever else I can get but this is the best ram I've seen price/performance wise.

Link:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820144326

If you go to the manufacture's site it has a review done by Tomshardware. They said this ram can easily hit ddr-700 speeds :drool: So when ever I sell my mobo/cpu combo I'll go ahead and pick this up with my new setup and tell ya how it goes.

PEACE

EWBatOVAclockin said:
I dunno I've been looking around and I also wanna hit 4ghz and whatever else I can get but this is the best ram I've seen price/performance wise.

Link:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820144326

If you go to the manufacture's site it has a review done by Tomshardware. They said this ram can easily hit ddr-700 speeds :drool: So when ever I sell my mobo/cpu combo I'll go ahead and pick this up with my new setup and tell ya how it goes.

PEACE

i will definately look into this, thank you!

Just about any of the PC2-5400 RAM will easily do DDR2-700. That Geil is high latency (4-4-4-12). I would pass on it. There is better DDR2. OCZ EB rev 2 and Patriot XBL both are rated 3-2-2-8. Here is a benchmark of the OCZ.

OCZ-EB-cpuz-max.JPG

sheesh nice ram but it will come at a cost. A very high one at that. I'm a very cheap person, so timing's will not really bother me as the fsb increase(to me) will make up for the slower timings. But this is just me so dont bash me for it.

PEACE

No bashing, not everyone can afford the best. Besides, timings ain't as critical with Intel systems as long as you can crank up the FSB. However, for budget priced DDR2 RAM, maybe check out this Crucial. It overclocks very well and will easily run 3-3-3 up to DDR2-600. It'll also do 667 to 700 with a little extra voltage and relaxing the timings. Personally, I think it's better than the Geil, plus it's cheaper.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820161401

hmm good find but do you have any reviews for this ram. As you said I always am on a budget so if I find anything for cheaper but almost same performance......I'm allll over it:) So if you have a review for this ram or something thatd be awesome. I'll go and search my self and report back.

PEACE

I too am in the market for some new DDR2 memory to go with my new Asus P5WD2 motherboard I will be getting soon. I found this memory at newegg Patriot DDR2 700 . The specs look very good with timings of 4-3-3-12(DDR2 700), 4-3-3-10(DDR2 667), 3-2-2-4(DDR2 533). I haven’t had any experience with Patriot brand memory so I am trying to choose between the Patriot DDR2 700 with low timings or the new Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 with high timings of 5-5-5-12, the corsair is also at newegg Corsair DDR2 800 . What do you guys think?

Some of the other members here on the forum have the regular Crucial DDR2 and have reported it overclocks almost as well as the Ballistix version. I'm sure there are reviews if you check around on google.

That Patriot DDR2 that is rated 3-2-2-8 uses the same chips as my OCZ EB rev 2.

Well as far as i see, the corsair which is at DDR2 800 o.0 and 5-5-5-12 timings are a bit high yet thats some nice speed y0. And are sitting at around 255$

The patriot memory is sitting at DDR2 700 with the tighter timings 4-3-3-12 and is for $224.00 for a gig

The Crucial is alot cheaper, but its alot slower than all the other ram here. Only at DDR2 533. At $118 that is a dam nice deal tho. Any data on overclocks on these? I could risk getting them and see if the oc, but with the corsair i can get a nice oc for sure. I will definately consider the crucial if i can find some reviews, i will keep you guys posted!

i just used CPU-z to check my ram. its 4-4-4-11, samsung ddr2 stuff, how much difference would it make to go to the OCZ stuff at 3-3-3-8?

also i found this on newegg CLICK HERE im a gamer, and ive been told i dont need 2 gigs, but im gonna start running a game server off my system at some points during the day and i dont really wanna be affected on other tasks on my computer, and plus WHO wouldnt love 2gigs of ram? but this stuff seems pretty quick for DDR2, but i am wondering, how good is GeiL? ive heard a few things, good things about them. just wanna double check.

Last edited:
Well, I love my DDR2. My results are almost up to batboy's. Mine is the PDP XBL DDR2. It is $229 at frys, which is a little more than that Geil kit.

-Collin-

I also use the PDP XBL DDR2. As batboy mentioned, they use the same chips as the OCZ. But OCZ warranties their modules up to 2.2v. So, you pay a little more for the warranty.

The timing's that PDP lists are at stock voltages. By juicing them, you can keep the timings low.

Back