• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra-D and UTT or TCCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jack222

I have some PC-3200 OC platnium revision2. They are TCCD andcan hit 300+. Is it worth it to sell it and get some high volt UTT? Will it show a noticble difference? If it is worth it, what is some good UTT for as cheap as possible but could be close to 300fsb. Thanks.

jack222 said:
I have some PC-3200 OC platnium revision2. They are TCCD andcan hit 300+. Is it worth it to sell it and get some high volt UTT? Will it show a noticble difference? If it is worth it, what is some good UTT for as cheap as possible but could be close to 300fsb. Thanks.

No UTT could hit 300fsb. At most i have seen a 512x2 hit around 260-265 2-2-2. With UTT you need to run a divider if you want a higher HTT on your CPU. But the great thing about a64's is they dont take a performance hit like Intels do.

EDIT: Also UTT running at 250mhz 2-2-2 has more bandwidth then TCCD running 2.5-3-3-7 at 285+ :)

I would think that if you can hit 300 or more, than it will be very similar in performance to tight timings at 265-270. You could get lucky with some TwinMOS SP or similar, but unless you go ahead and spend the bucks for either the OCZ PC4000 VX or maybe the new Mushkin Reds, you are going to be gambling. I've bought 8 512 MB sticks of UTT and either because of lack of skill, bad luck or bad mobo, I can't break 250 with any of them in dual channel. I've had fun trying, but that's all.

I think that with good TCCD sticks already in hand there really is no need to chase UTT unless you just really want to, 'cause you certainly don't need to.

I think part of the allure of the UTT for me has been that extreme voltage thing...fire that Booster up and see what those puppies will do. It is probably not the best solution, long-term that is, for the rest of the system, though.

I hope I don't burn the house down one of these nights!

jack222 said:

When you say your TCCD can hit 300, is that 300, 2.5-3-3-6 at 1T, 2.5-4-3-6 at 1T, or 2.5-4-4-7 at 2T? I presume they are 2x512s?

There is a big difference in performance depending what you can run. Also Memtest clean is one thing at 300 fsb, but can the sticks pass all four 3DMarks and Aquamark, minimum?

I havent been able to test them, but i heard they easily get to 300.

TCCD have looser timings at high FSB, but UTT can go averagly high (250-260) with tighter timings and much higher voltage. Since your getting the DFI Ultra-D, you can supply enough volts so UTT would be a good bet.

jack222 said:
I havent been able to test them, but i heard they easily get to 300.

Well than I hope you bought them from a very good friend :p. 300 at 2.5-4-4-7 is pretty easy at 2T. And maybe 50-75% of the LEs can do 2.5-4-3-6 at 1T. I'm talking the DFI NF4 board, of course.

Doing 300 at 2.5-3-3-6 with 2x512 at 1T, fully 3D stable is a whole different animal.

Don't assume you're TCCD will do 300+, you need to test it before you can confirm that. I would take some 300HTT TCCD's at 2.5-3-3-6 for daily use over UTT only because you don't need active cooling for the 4v jumper/DIMM's. I am aching to get my hands on a GOOD set of UTT to bench with, it can really do some amazing stuff if you get a 265+ set. This argument has been played out many times before, just search through the Memory section a little harder and you'll get all your answers.

Clevor said:
Doing 300 at 2.5-3-3-6 with 2x512 at 1T, fully 3D stable is a whole different animal.

You speak the truth! This took me quite a bit of time/tweaking to obtain.

memtest.jpg

Sucka said:
I would take some 300HTT TCCD's at 2.5-3-3-6 for daily use over UTT only because you don't need active cooling for the 4v jumper/DIMM's.

I totally agree here. Plus, running the 2-3 jumper all the time on the board puts out a lot of heat in the case. And it's been winter the last couple of months, right? Wait till summer; all the guys with UTT will lose a couple of mhz in the coming months :p. Bottom line is when the room temp drops, so does temps on everything: board, ram, air you are blowing on the ram, etc.

I do have a set of PQI that can run 308x9, 2.5-3-3-6 fully 3D benchable (2x512 at 1T) and can see what damage it can do. It's awesome: 34.1 latency time (at 300x9), and easily hits over 4000 unbuffered!

And nope, mine don't need an FX-55. I checked, and it did 300+, 2.5-3-3-6 on both a 3500+ and 3200+ :clap:. And while Memtest clean is an achievement, the proof is in the pudding: I can bench everything in 3D under the sun.

It's a magic pair of 512MB PQI TCCD with BP815 PCB.

Last edited:
If i had active cooling which isnt a problem for me, would i be at a loss if i got a good set of UTT. I coudl always run a divider. See, i could use some money right now.

But im thinking that i could supply the volts, have active cooling, and run a divider when nessecary. I have never used an AMD so would i be at a loss?

jack222 said:
If i had active cooling which isnt a problem for me, would i be at a loss if i got a good set of UTT. I coudl always run a divider. See, i could use some money right now.

But im thinking that i could supply the volts, have active cooling, and run a divider when nessecary. I have never used an AMD so would i be at a loss?

I am seeing that 300x9, 166 divider on a 3000+ is not fully 3D stable on UTT stuff. I do see original BH-5 on Corsair XMS3500 doing this.

On some boards like NF3, you can't even post with dividers with VX/UTT. Even if you can boot Windows on the NF4 boards, try clearing all four Marks and Aquamark :p. The rig ain't all there. I took the UTT out and put in my XMS3500 and no problemo clearing all the benchmarks.

The guy i am talking to says they can do 250 and he is almost sure i can use a divider to get high...

Yeah, these guys speak the truth here. I plan on obtaining some UTT/BH5, but there's no way i'll run it everyday. You can always clock your CPU super high, run high bw and get the best of both worlds :p

latency.jpg

wowzers.jpg

gskillbandwidth.jpg

I'd be more apt to just buy my ram from the store then take some guys word for it. What they can do in his system doesn't mean they'll do the same in yours. Lots of little things, down to just plain dumb luck, affect the overall result.

Is this guy a friend or maybe someone from the classifieds here, or is he some fellow on eBay or another similar type site?

jack222 said:
The guy i am talking to says they can do 250 and he is almost sure i can use a divider to get high...

Again, how thoroughly has the person tested the ram? Just as there are guys claiming they can run 270, 2-2-2-5 or 325, 2.5-3-3-6. I mean is it just Memtest clean? Can they even boot Windows without it blue screening? Can they even run SuperPI, much less all four Marks and Aquamark?

GSkill only guarantees Memtest clean on their LA ram at 300 fsb; 3D stable you are on your own.

I'm not saying the rig has to run dual Prime or even 32M till you are blue in the face, but how about functional gaming capability?

Case in point is running 300x9, 166 on the TwinMOS SPs at 245 on the ram, 2-2-2-8. Seems perfectly stable in 2D. I can pass Sandra unbuffered and Cache-and-Memory. Will even pass Aquamark and 3DMark2000. But it kicks out of 3DMark2001 and 3DMark2005. Sometimes I get a Microsoft error box popping up.

I switch to my trusty XMS3500 and have no problems clearing both 3DMark2001/2005. I seen this happen too many times before: the UTT rig ain't all there with dividers. The ram for sure can do 245 at 3.1 volts Memtest clean all day long.

Mate,

I would qualify 14 hrs of Prime Blend and a few hours of Doom 3 as being stable enough.

To answer the original question at hand, I would advise against letting go of TCCD for UTT. The number of satisfied TCCD users far outweigh the number of satisfied UTT users.

Old Chinese proverb, "Biird in hand better than crap in bush." Stick with the tccd, it is a first rate chip that doesn't involve needing to live next door to the fire department. (UTT is fine but if you have quality ram why go chasing a rainbow that could be a mirage.)

Back