• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest Pass, but no Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I maybe asking to much here, but I just ran Memtest on my G.Skill memory and it passed a 24 hour test (67 passes) at DDR600, but I can't even boot into Windows. I know it's not my CPU since it's running below spec. I would expect some kind of error in Memtest if Windows doesn't work, but 24 hours strong.

System specs are in sig. I have 'LD' memory with 440 TCCD chips. My memory timings are 2.5-4-4-8 and running at 2.90V (2.95V actual). I'm thinking of setting my voltage to 3.0V, but I'm not sure if this is safe with these chips. Thanks.

maybe your system doesn't like the high HTT? Just a thought since memtest doesn't really test much with A64 but CPU and memory. Very few access to the chipset itself since mem controller is removed.

Some a64's can't handle high FSB. Maybe try toning down the OC and see if that helps some.

Well, Windows just bit the dust on me. I can get onto the log on screen, but I can't log on due to a system failure. I guess DDR600 won't work out for me. I was so happy when i saw that I passed a 24 hour memtest, but now I'm back to default and reinstalling Windows. Wanted to start upping my CPU speed tonight, but that will have to wait until I get Windows back up :(.

Well, after finishing the memtest I was able to log into Windows, but it immediately locked up as soon as it started loading. Restarted the computer and got a BSOD immediately. Restarted again, then when I tried to log in it told me it could not log me on due a system error. Went into safe mode and I get the same error even with the Administrators account, so either way I'm forced to reinstall Windows.

Enigma422 said:
Where did you get Windows 95 from? It's WindowsXP.

sorry for being a little lighthearted about the problem. if it was windows95, then random crashes wouldn't be a hardware problem, and we'd know that. so it's FUNNY that it might be win95, even though it's not.

last time i tell a joke......

MailOrderSausag said:
sorry for being a little lighthearted about the problem. if it was windows95, then random crashes wouldn't be a hardware problem, and we'd know that. so it's FUNNY that it might be win95, even though it's not.

last time i tell a joke......

Well, I don't think windows XP has the BSOD screen anymore, does it? I thought they removed it for XP :confused: I could be wrong, but I've never seen the BSOD in XP....

Yamiyanazz said:
Well, I don't think windows XP has the BSOD screen anymore, does it? I thought they removed it for XP :confused: I could be wrong, but I've never seen the BSOD in XP....

Oh it definatley has it. lol. I have seen many times. :bang head

--Josh

You won't ever see it if your system is stable... but once you start getting unstable OC's you'll see it like it was win98!

I'm surprised no one else has suggested this but go up on your vcore...... many times I've gotten through hours of memtest only to find that I don't have enough vcore to get into windows......

I have a similar problem with memtest and my TCCD. I can run memtest at 310Mhz for days and can boot into windows fine (have a photo of 800 passes at 310Mhz), however windows is not stable. SuperPI 1M runs but 32M fails within a few minutes. I have to drop 30Mhz to 280 to get windows stability so it shows a large gap between memtest and windows stability. I know my CPU and MB are not the cause for the instability because I am dropping the multi and have tested my MB up to 350FSB.

I am think that it may be a memory controller problem and my 3500 NC just can't handle the high RAM clocks but I can't be sure on that until I test with a different CPU. This may be your problem as well, considering you have a similar CPU.

HousERaT said:
I'm surprised no one else has suggested this but go up on your vcore...... many times I've gotten through hours of memtest only to find that I don't have enough vcore to get into windows......

He said he is running the CPU below spec though so vcore isn't an issue is it?

Well I figured it out. I had to increase my LDT and chipset by 0.1V, but now everything seems to works fine. I just ran SiSoft's burn-in test (10 iterations), all of their benchmarks, and all of the 3DMarks without any problems. I'm happy now. DDR600 with 1200MHz HTT appears fine. Running CPU Burn-in now at 2.4GHz (300 x 8) @ 1.40V VCore and will start more testing when I get back from work.

MailOrderSausage, I was trying to figure out if you were joking or trying to insult me :D. Anyway, who here still runs Windows95? ;)

Back