• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuff isn't opening

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CheeseMan

This is only on my C Drive, it dosen't do it for my f anf g drive and my c ios my defualt one. Like i have a folder on my desktop, i can click that, then there will be like a install file inside of that, i click it and it wont do anything..i cant even open the registry and this is really starting to make me mad..can someone help

I see you are on XP, are you logged on an admin account and can you rclick on the drive in my computer and click on the security tab and see what you have?

i only have one account because it's my own pc so yea its the admin account and there is no secruity tab on when i right click on the c drive

AFA not being able to run an exectuable (which I assume is what you mean by an install file), try the "EXE File Association Fix" from Doug Knox's site here...

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Regarding not being able to access the Regsitry, it could be because of any number of things...primarily a virus/worm, etc. If this is the case, you may also notice that you can't run the MS Configuration Utility (Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK)...or the Task Manager. This could also be the reason you can't run any *.exe files. Try running an online scan...

Free Online Virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Other measures you could try, in order to gain access to the Registry...to enable you the option to repair:

Lift Restrictions - Task Manager, Regedit and CMD (Line 275)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Emergency Msconfig, Regedit, Task Manager
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emergencyutil.zip

thanks the exe fix fixed all my problems, fixed getting into registry and everything, now everythin is working perfect thanks

another problem that i've had today is my internet keeps liking going off or something, then i just repair it in netowrk connections, will any of those fix files fix it?

yeah it keeps dissconecting me from net and i am on dsl, then it says not found to web pages and i have to repair connection and stuff

and another problem that i have is that my external hard drive like stops working a lot. like the files disapear so then i have to shut it off and turn it back on a couple times, it makes me frustrated

Last edited:
CheeseMan said:
Yeah it keeps dissconecting me from net and i am on dsl, then it says not found to web pages and i have to repair connection and stuff
Unfortunately I'm not near as savvy when it comes to networks/networking as many others on the forums are. You might be better off posting your question in the Networking forum, as it's geared more towards the sort of problem you're having with dropped connections.
CheeseMan said:
And another problem that i have is that my external hard drive like stops working a lot. like the files disapear so then i have to shut it off and turn it back on a couple times, it makes me frustrated
AFA the problem with your external HDD, again you may be better off posting that question in the Storage forum. I'm not real familiar with external drives, as I've never owned one...so unfortunately I'm not much help afa that goes.

Last edited:
If you ran a virus scan like I suggested, and nothing showed up...then I'd suggest a repair install. To perform a repair install of XP...in the BIOS (normally under "Advanced BIOS Features Setup Menu"), configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM drive (make the CD-ROM drive the first boot device) | Insert the XP CD while in the BIOS, save settings (F10) and reboot - (You can also boot with a 98/Me bootdisk with CD support and run Winnt.exe...located in the I386 folder on the CD).

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the XP CD | When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed...do not select this option | On the XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement | Make sure that your current installation of XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair XP | Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Back