• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

must refersh desktop to remove deleted icons\files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicspits

I've had this problem for a while, and after quite a bit of searching haven't found the fix thus:

when I delete anything from my desktop, be it file, folder, or shortcut, it stays there until i refresh it. The actual file or what not is gone as in i can get into the properties for it and it'll say 0 for size and such, but visually it's still there, anyone know how to fix this up? thanks a lot!

-Nic

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Update

Highlight the Update Key in the LH pane | In the RH pane, right click the UpdateMode DWORD Name and select "Modify" | In the "Edit DWORD Value" window that opens, check to see whether the Hexadeciamal Value data is 1 or 0.

Next, expand the following branch...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | Advanced

Highlight the Advanced Key in the LH pane | In the RH pane, right click the NoNetCrawling DWORD Name and select "Modify" | In the "Edit DWORD Value" window that opens, check to see whether the Hexadeciamal Value data is 1 or 0.

...and post back with your results.

the value is 0, thanks for the help.

Sorry, For the first key u laid out, the value is 1, the second one was Zero.

Last edited:
Change both DWORD Values to 1, and either hit F5 to refresh the Registry...or reboot for the changes to take effect.

bah, it still does it. I don't know if this will help but it's the same for items in folders which are on the desktop. but of course, when deleting something from say, my documents, it disappears pronto.

could the fact that I have My Documents stored on a different drive than the OS have anything to do with it. they are linked properly, or so I think.

nicspits said:
Could the fact that I have My Documents stored on a different drive than the OS have anything to do with it. they are linked properly, or so I think.
As long as you moved the My Documents folder in this fashion...Start | My Documents | Right-click My Documents and select "Properties" | Click the "Target" tab | In the "Target" box, click Move | Click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click "Make New Folder" | Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice | In the "Move Documents" box, click YES to move your documents to the new location, or click NO to leave your documents in the original location.

Yep, I moved it in the first way you described and it didn't do this after originally setting up this installation back at the end of February. Any other ideas?

You might want to try increasing the size of the icon cache by editing the following Registry Key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer

Expand the above branch | Right click in the RH pane and select New-->String Value | Give it a Value Name of Max Cached Icons | Right click the new Value and select "Modify" | In the "Edit String" window that opens, enter 8192 (the Windows default is 2048) into the "Value data" field. You'll need to reboot for the change to take effect. This Registry edit increases the available size (by increasing the number of available icons that can be cached) of the hidden iconcache.db file in the following directory...

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data

If you haven't already, you could also try modifying the DWORD values of both UpdateMode and NoNetCrawling, in the two Keys you checked previously, to 0 ...for a faster refresh.

Last edited:
Back