• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AVI to Mpeg2(DVD) Huge files 100GB to 4.35GB DVD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

el

Okay so I recorded show 2.5hours and need to edit down the slightly compressed .avi s I have. How to edit them to a DVD(freeware)

setting on VirtualVCR are
720x480 NTSC_M
Yu2
HuffyUV with patch for compression
Now how do I edit these huge files and convert/filter them down in good quality?

I tried following a guide and now I have 100gigs of uncompressed video I can't really do anything with.

Last edited:
Good question:) I wanna know too.Come september I'll be recording all the Jets games and would like to transfer the files to dvd or vcd etc...

yeah mine does too but I figured I would have better results uncompressed video first and then edit/filter/deinterlace/resize/remove logo finally compressing to mpeg-2. But I am kinda lost atm.

For some reason I can't get sound from my tv tuner with my usb soundcard :bang head

This ATI TV Wonder VE is crap.I'm also getting up to 50% cpu usage just watching TV?
What's a decent one to get?

Last edited:
Well I followed the guide over at doom9 but I am really a newbie at DV stuff.

I got the ATI HDTV Wonder and it good but impossible to install and harder to configure. When you get it running I would say 9/10 but that is after about 12hours of tech time.

i HIGHLY recommend you go to dvdrhelp.com. the people there are hardcore and know their stuff inside out.

stratcatprowlin said:
For some reason I can't get sound from my tv tuner with my usb soundcard :bang head

This ATI TV Wonder VE is crap.I'm also getting up to 50% cpu usage just watching TV?
What's a decent one to get?

You should grab a Hauppauge WinTV PVR150 or a similar model from them. They are pretty much the top rated capture cards on the market and they do all the encoding on the card itself so there is no CPU load.

Ad Rock said:
You should grab a Hauppauge WinTV PVR150 or a similar model from them. They are pretty much the top rated capture cards on the market and they do all the encoding on the card itself so there is no CPU load.

Cool I'll check them out and let ya know how it goes.

I reckon Compro make the best TV Cards available personally. They are much cheaper than Hauppage, come with a Good Remote, has IMO Better software than Hauppage. There best feature though is the ability to power on the PC to make a recording, then turn it off again after. And you can turn the PC on with the Remote, Ultimate lazyness.

You guys shoulda come an got me, i live for video lol.

First of all El, if this is standard TV, you recorded at the wrong resoloution. Standard TV is broadcast at 320x240, so 720x480 isnt doing anything but taking up space. Second, your huge 100gb avi files...somethings def wrong, uncompressed you should bet getting 13gb/1hr.

However, if you recorded an HD signal, which is either 1080x720 or 1920x1280, to a 720x480 res then you did alright.

If you want simple, FREE editing, get yourself Avid Free DV. There you can copy/cut/paste commercials, screw with wicked compression settings. This is just like any other NLE prog we use, only this one is free. Lets see adobe do that for ya.

http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp

However i cant remember how to use this editor worth a damn, ive been on FCP too long and this is alittle different.

In there, once youve edited your movies, you can compress them in a render. My fav is either Divx, XviD, or for windows users, VP6 (www.on2.com) GREAT codecs. These are alittle lossy though, im sure youve seen a Divx encoded movie.

Over at Doom9 (im making a stop there myself) im sure ull find a command line compressor, to help save you time/space. When working with video i always suggest ATLEAST 2CPUs and a gig of ram. Although i realize most people arent setup for this, it really does make life easier.

I do not know of any freeware DVD apps at this time however. If your a linux person im sure theres a multitude of DVD out there.

When rendering in this avid program (read the tutorials) youll want to render as DV NTSC (assuming this is for american playback only) 720x480, pixel ratio of .9. But, this is saying you want it as miniDV format. If your going straight to DVD with this, its not bad, your not GAINING quality at all. Actually, you could encode at 352x288, which will give you much more time on a DVD. DVDs actually can play 2 resoloutions, 720x480 or 352x288. Ive done movies with mixed footage, and you cant notice a difference on a standard CRT TV. Flatpanel/HDTV is another story.

I would suggest trying out ulead DVD workshop, only because its simple, and you dont hafta worry about encoding, you just drag and drop, it figures it out for you. Burn right from the app or make a .iso (safer).

Remember, DVDs for TV dont care aabout filesize of the video, its the length that matters. Just like on an audio CD, you can have a 100mb file last 20mins, or a 6MB file last 20mins, 20mins is all that matters.

I hope this helps at all.

thanks guys
I edited the game down to 33.6gb but still have about a 1:9 ratio to get it down to dvd+r size.

I captured in an avi container instead of mpeg thinking I can compress it later and save quality. I did dl AVIDfreedv. I will see where that leads me.

thats starting to sound about right.

You might be better off Demo'ing Dr Divx. You can specify the size of the output file, however, then you have to wait longer for it to compress to DVD codec.

yeah I am doing everything in virtualdubmod latest build thinkit is 2439.

I have applied a few filters/improvements and tried to deinterlace it but since it will be dvd.
So Basically I
Captured: VirtualVCR in avi
Remove Commercials/deadtime with VirtualDubMod
Appended AVI files with VirtualDubMod
Cropped out botton and top noise/Stupid info banner with null transform/Resize in VirtualDM
Improved picture with Smart Smoother filter Spatial denoiser with VDM
Color Correction with ColorTools in VDM
now I need to
Audio in Besweet
Calculate bit rate average with Bearsons calc
Encode with QuEnc but requires YV12 but will handle mpeg-2 interlaced for free.
DVDAuthorgui for dvd creation/audio and iso creation.

most info in doom9.orgs analog capture but I am still confused and the need for about 8 different apps make things interesting.

Back