• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SpedswitchXP - what's it really do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey all

I was just told about this app tonight, so I thought I would investigate it a little before I take what I was told about it at face value..

Apparently Intel CPU's do something called -SPEEDSTEP- and AMD CPU'S do something similar called -POWERNOW-

Basically what I was told was that these two events are the CPU's clocking their speed down by the themselves when they hit some sort of event trigger..
Maybe lack of use or something..

Any ways the app SpeedswitchXP is supposed to whack your CPU on full power/[processing capability in a permanent style basis and take away the two events for the various makes of CPU I mentioned earlier.

Can anyone shed some light on this - as I am clueless when it comes to the intricate working of CPU'S

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

PowerNow reduces cpu speed/voltage, this is done during different processor usage levels.

Speedstep, originally designed for mobile CPU's, reduced power based on whether battery power or AC Outlet was being used to provide power to the computer. Slower when on battery, full speed when on AC Outlet power.

EIST, varies with CPU usage. Pretty much the same as PowerNow in how it slows down when not in full use.

For which CPU are you thinking about doing this? Desktop Athlon XP's did not get PowerNow, mobile's did though.

Back