• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k3 - screensaver never comes on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
here is my problem: i am running win2k3 enterprise server on my pc that i use for my tv in my room here and for some reason, it does not ever go to a screen saver. i have it set to do so but it just never does. i have changed all the settings possible (changed screensavers, timing, etc.) but nothing has worked. i made sure my optical mouse wasn't making the mouse "dance" so it would keep the screensaver away. it used to work so i am not sure why it isn't working now. any ideas?

First will it run when you preview the screensaver? Second, unplug the mouse and see if it works then. Third, check the event log and see if there are any errors in there.

nikhsub1 said:
First will it run when you preview the screensaver? Second, unplug the mouse and see if it works then. Third, check the event log and see if there are any errors in there.

yes, it previews the scrensaver. i will try the last two here in a minute to see what happens... thanks.

well i figured something interesting out... it will go to screensaver if it is set to 1 minute but nothing more...

Check the Value data of the following String Names under this Registry Key...

HKEY_USERS | .DEFAULT | Control Panel | Desktop

ScreenSaveActive
ScreenSaverIsSecure
ScreenSaveTimeOut
SCRNSAVE

...and post the data in this thread.

redduc900 said:
Check the Value data of the following String Names under this Registry Key...

HKEY_USERS | .DEFAULT | Control Panel | Desktop

ScreenSaveActive
ScreenSaverIsSecure
ScreenSaveTimeOut
SCRNSAVE

...and post the data in this thread.

hmm e-mail notification didn't work... weird...

ScreenSaveActive - 1
ScreenSaverIsSecure - 1
ScreenSaveTimeOut - 600
SCRNSAVE - logon.scr

Last edited:
What are using for mouse drivers, and are they made specifically for W2K3? Also, what processes do you have running in the background? In addition to checking the String names under the above Key, check your screen saver settings here also...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Control Panel | Desktop

i have reason to believe that it may have had something to do with the video drivers. i just removed my ti 4200 and put my "old" r9800 pro in there and it goes to screen saver @ 5 minutes now...

those values i gave you were taken after i installed the r9800 pro...

Hmmm, that's interesting. I probably would've never thought of the VC drivers as being the problem.

Last edited:
Back