• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 2000 domain logon help needed fast :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiji

ok heres the deal

i accidentally set my dad's (work computer) win2k laptop from a domain group, to workgroup

then he couldn't log in

so then i logged into the local admin account to change it back to the old domain group

but the thing is... i can't change it back to the old domain group because its an intranet only domain name, and gives me a DNS error ever time i try to set it (could not look up domain name, etc )

how can i set the domain name, even though it cant look look it up? (fyi i have tried putting it in the hosts file, but that still didn't work)

thx alot

You can't. You need to be able to communicate with the domain controller, and have sufficient rights to add your PC to the domain.

If your father has VPN access to his work network, it might be possible, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

what i dont get is this

he could still logon althought he can't access the domain name, outside of the office

so.. the only reason i can't set it atm is because it gives me a DNS error of not being able to look it up

Windows 2000/XP caches the last 10 passwords by default - therefore allowing your dad to logon even though he wasnt authenticated with a domain controller. Like slackfumasta says you will need to be able to communicate with the DC & have sufficient privileges to be able to rejoin the domain.

I guess I should ask this:

When you say you moved it from a domain to a workgroup, are you referring to:

Right-clicking on My Computer, Properties, Computer Name, and clicking on Network ID and switching from your father's domain to a workgroup?

Or do you mean: At the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen at startup, you clicked on the 'Domain' drop down list, changed to one of the other names, and now you cannot get back to the domain listed there?

If it's the first, you're screwed. If it's the second, don't worry about it. As soon as your father plugs back into his work network he will be able to log back into the domain.

Slackfumasta said:

Right-clicking on My Computer, Properties, Computer Name, and clicking on Network ID and switching from your father's domain to a workgroup?

Or do you mean: At the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen at startup, you clicked on the 'Domain' drop down list, changed to one of the other names, and now you cannot get back to the domain listed there?

If it's the first, you're screwed. If it's the second, don't worry about it. As soon as your father plugs back into his work network he will be able to log back into the domain.

i guess im screwed then :p

thanks for giving me some motivational words hehe

oh well its out of my hands now-- my dad went back to idaho, and i think his company's IT guy will work on it

Slackfumasta said:

i guess im screwed then :p

thanks for giving me some motivational words hehe

oh well its out of my hands now-- my dad went back to idaho, and i think his company's IT guy will work on it

Unless he works for some company (or the government) and handles top-top-secret information that could be sold to competitors (or leaked to other governments) for billions of dollars in profit or damages, then his IT guys will probably rag on him a little bit, put him on 'double-secret probation', and reattach his PC to the domain.

fiji said:
ok heres the deal

i accidentally set my dad's (work computer) win2k laptop from a domain group, to workgroup

then he couldn't log in

so then i logged into the local admin account to change it back to the old domain group

but the thing is... i can't change it back to the old domain group because its an intranet only domain name, and gives me a DNS error ever time i try to set it (could not look up domain name, etc )

how can i set the domain name, even though it cant look look it up? (fyi i have tried putting it in the hosts file, but that still didn't work)

thx alot

Like others have said - you are SOL. And you you shouldn't be messing with your Dad's work PC, a company asset. And shame on your Dad for letting you messing with his WORK puter.

Back