• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

yet another advice thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Packrat

I have an 1800+ JIUHB on an NF7-S, currently running 200x10 (need to put in sig..... might be there by the time you read this), but with the RAM at DDR333 (crappy PC2700 Dane-Elec Elixer stuff), and I am looking to run the RAM at 1:1 with the CPU, and hopefully push the OC a little farther. I'm looking for a CAS 2 2x512 PC3200 set, and have a maximum budget of $150, but I really dont want to spend much more than $130ish. So far I have looked at some GeIL as a low-ish end, and perhaps this G.SKILL. As higher-up options I have looked at OCz EL and Corsair XMS. However, there are different versions of the latter two, and, save for a slight timing change in the OCz, I cannot tell the difference between them. Clarification would be welcome. (these variations I speak of are these: OCz and Corsair)

You would really be fine with any of the RAM you linked to. The difference between those two corsair models is simply the color of the heatspreader. As far as the difference between the OCZ stuff you linked to, there isn't really much.

I would recommend any of that stuff you linked too except the Geil. I'm sure it is great RAM, but I've heard too many people with hit and miss success with Geil. The Geil sticks that work seem to work great, but there also seems to be many people that get Geil sticks that are plagued with problems (although I myself have never tried Geil).

All have a lifetime warrenty, but I would say go with either of those OCZ kits (just as a personal preference);)

Yeah don't buy Geil. I've never seen a Geil stick that was well liked.

OCZ has always been a favorite for me. Their quality is awesome and you can't beat the shiny heatspreaders :D It looks like the first you linked to is (given the code OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K) Is DDR400, 2*512, Enhanced Latency Platinum Edition and the other is just plain Enhanced Latency.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_platinum

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200

Not much difference other than a cooler heatspreader and lower tras. Let me check on the chips that they both have though.

Yes, I do want it, but i have other things to buy (such as a Mac Mini, which will recieve my current 512MB stick). I'll probably go with the OCz PE, though I might try to push the CPU fairly far.... though I don't know how far yet. Since its stock is 1.53GHz on a 133MHz FSB, running stably at 200MHz is quite a leap, though I would like to get as much from the chip as I can. With current RAM (which stayed at SPD, not 1:1) it didn't like higher FSBs though... How much of a difference is there between the PE and the regular EL, and how much of a difference does the tras being one digit lower actually make as far as real-world usage?

Yes, I'm still debating about it. Is there any other difference? Different chips, i believe you said earlier? if so, which would OC farther?

sorry for the stupid questions, but I'd rather ask them of people who have already experimented with these things than experiment myself and find that I had just wasted my money.

:EDIT: Decided on OCz over Corsair after reading reviews and discovering that the Corsair sticks of comparable price are CAS 2.5 on AMD systems.... such prejudice... :bang head
Anyway, I'm leaning towards the platinum, as it is the same price as the other. The only reason I would change this decision is if the non-PE OCs farther than the PE by a considerable (5MHz or more) amount. Assuming, that is, that my 1800 will even go much farther than the 220 some have reported with this RAM (admittedly on Newegg, not the most reliable source... still, the point remains)

So, is there a major difference in OC potential?

Last edited:
Shameless bump.... but I need to order this RAM soon.... and yes, it is worth slightly tarnishing my so far clean record on these boards. :eh?:

Last edited:
Back