• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered these OCZ sticks. Did I do good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Category 5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890

My OC rig has GSkill LD Ram and I love it. Stock voltage does 285+ without a sweat at 2.5-4-4-5. Unfortunately I have to leave it at 275 - 2.5-4-4-5 since my CPU maxes out at 3.85 totally Prime stable.

I was looking for some faster ram for my P4 3.4 Northy system which isn't overclocked, and saw that this TCCD does 2-2-2 at 400. Since my G-skill only does 2-3-2-5 at 400 I suspect this is more like the LE's than the LD's. And at this price who can complain?

My plan is to get a second set after next pay check and run 4 stocks for a total of 2GB. I spend most of my days in Photoshop and the work I do has my swap file running 24/7. I could really use the memory.

On a P4P800 will I likely be able to get the 2-2-2 timings with 4 sticks? or just 2?

If I can't get the performance I need these might end up in the studio rig, as they will likely do the same clocks as the GSkills but with better timings.

Any comments are appreciated. I am normally an audio electronics DIY'er, but since this overclocking project started in the studio I have been having a blast! ...haven't smelled solder in over a month!

Shane

Last edited:
el said:
um what ocz did you get I don't see the info for ocz sticks?

If its 2-2-2-5 it has to be 3200EL Rev 2 Platinum.

If its 2-2-2-8 its some of the Gold VX

While I'm waiting for Mushkin to send me sticks that will post on my Neo2 Platinum, I impulse ordered a set of those OCZ sticks. They arrived this afternoon and I've been playing with them off and on this evening. Here's what I can say for sure. Sticking with 2.75V (spec) I got the following setting to run stable. Upping the voltage to 2.80, 2.85 or 2.90 got me no further at each setting, using the rig in my sig. I did not try higher voltages since they are in warranty for the moment.

210 Mhz 2-2-2-5
220 Mhz 2-3-2-5
230 Mhz 2-3-3-6
270 Mhz 2.5-3-3-7
280 Mhz 2.5-4-4-8

Not too shabby, but not earth shattering either. The price sure has come down for them recently.

Hoot

Good sticks i have them.

I paid 250$ :bang head...183$ now, wow.

But great timings and great sticks. Mine do 275 right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad I got these. I have another pair on the way for 2gig total.

They outperform my G.Skill 4400s by a pretty decent margin. The G.Skills can only do 275 at 2.5-4-4-8 - these will do 2.5-3-3-8.

I don;t know if it's groundbreaking or not, but getting these speeds and these timings with 2.75 volts seems pretty darn awesome to me...especially of you want to populate all 4 dimm slots, or don't want to mess around with voltage adapters.

Shane

Hoot said:
While I'm waiting for Mushkin to send me sticks that will post on my Neo2 Platinum, I impulse ordered a set of those OCZ sticks. They arrived this afternoon and I've been playing with them off and on this evening. Here's what I can say for sure. Sticking with 2.75V (spec) I got the following setting to run stable. Upping the voltage to 2.80, 2.85 or 2.90 got me no further at each setting, using the rig in my sig. I did not try higher voltages since they are in warranty for the moment.

210 Mhz 2-2-2-5
220 Mhz 2-3-2-5
230 Mhz 2-3-3-6
270 Mhz 2.5-3-3-7
280 Mhz 2.5-4-4-8

Not too shabby, but not earth shattering either. The price sure has come down for them recently.

Hoot

They are warrantied up to 3v, not that it helps this ram, but you can try.

I have had great results with my RAM, Im guessing that its the MB thats limited at this point. Id venture to guess that you would see even better clocks on an NF4 platform.

{PMS}fishy said:
They are warrantied up to 3v, not that it helps this ram, but you can try.

I have had great results with my RAM, Im guessing that its the MB thats limited at this point. Id venture to guess that you would see even better clocks on an NF4 platform.

Yes, I'd love to get a new $130 NF4 motherboard, but I'm reluctant to give up my $400 video card that I'm perfectly happy with. I'm hoping someone, hopefully a quality manufacturer, will come out with an NF4 motherboard with AGP support soon. I think the motherboard manufacturers really dropped the ball on not considering the cost of a new, quality video card, when choosing to orphan the AGP bus card owners. I doubt it was a mistake though. Most motherboard manufacturers also make video cards. Smell something in the air?

Hoot

I had to make a similar choice. I had a XFX 6600GT AGP for a while and I was bummed because I wouldn't be able to use it in a NF4 system. So I e-mailed XFX and asked them if they would exchange the card for a PCI-E version. They accepted! Since I live in Toronto they had told me I had to deal with their Canadian supplier (Samtack). I went over there and they traded the card for a PCI-E. Not sure if your card's manufacturer will do that but it's worth a shot.

crash013 said:
I had to make a similar choice. I had a XFX 6600GT AGP for a while and I was bummed because I wouldn't be able to use it in a NF4 system. So I e-mailed XFX and asked them if they would exchange the card for a PCI-E version. They accepted! Since I live in Toronto they had told me I had to deal with their Canadian supplier (Samtack). I went over there and they traded the card for a PCI-E. Not sure if your card's manufacturer will do that but it's worth a shot.

Not to hijack the thread, but that's a great idea. I have a real ATI 9800XT, oops, forget that, I modded it for water-cooling. :( I'll just bide my time for an AGP based NF4 motherboard.

Hoot

Hoot said:
Not to hijack the thread, but that's a great idea. I have a real ATI 9800XT, oops, forget that, I modded it for water-cooling. :( I'll just bide my time for an AGP based NF4 motherboard.

Hoot

Don't hold your breath. I don't think its ever comming.

Im in the same boat as you. Lots of nice AGP cards, and every high end platform is going to PCI-e.

True. When AGP was introduced at least PCI made the jump too so we could use our expensive cards on our new motherboards.

So far, nothing has made me feel the need for the new chipsets...except for the knowledge that "eventually" the performance will lie there.

For now, I'd rahter keep my existing investment going...even if i means I am 5-10% below the latest and greatest!

Shane

I'm wanting four of those sticks for my Xeon duallie. I'd like to run 24/7 @ 225MHz fsb. The motherboard is limited (on purpose no doubt) to 240 if you're lucky. Most get 225-235 max stable. I run mostly FAH beta work units that demand absoute system stability. They are even more demanding than PP95TT on most systems.

Small update:

Got them running stable 9x300 5:6 (250 Mhz) 2-3-3-6 @ 2.95V with a fan blowing on them. Not a lot of gain over 2.5-3-3-7 though. About 1.2% score improvement in 3D Mark 2001se. Was 25106, now 25469. I could probably get a better score improvement just by picking better drivers :)

Hoot

Hoot said:
Small update:

Got them running stable 9x300 5:6 (250 Mhz) 2-3-3-6 @ 2.95V with a fan blowing on them. Not a lot of gain over 2.5-3-3-7 though. About 1.2% score improvement in 3D Mark 2001se. Was 25106, now 25469. I could probably get a better score improvement just by picking better drivers :)

Hoot
Wow very nice. Ima have to get me some soon. :)

I could'nt resist any longer. I ordered 2 Gig of the OCZ 4000ELDCGR Gold Rev2 with the 2.5-3-3 latancies for the P4C800E dlx and moving the HyperX to my A64 for 2 Gig in that box.
Will I still be able to hit 2-2-2 at 225fsb and 2.5-3-3 at 240-250fsb. with 2gig of OCZ?
With the HyperX ram I was able to run the same freqs at bot 1 and 2 gigs.

Back