• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory For a San Diego/DFI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't have much of a budget!? That's some pretty expensive RAM. You could get some cheaper UTT if you want to save some money, but they will not go as high.

CJ

yeah i had been debating over utt vs tccd... but i think tccd is the best choice what do you guys think?

I ordered the OCZ 4800 PLatinum (TCCD) memory for the same set up you mentioned. The G.Skills are good too.
TCCD seems best considering some of the flaky behavior some LanPArty boards have with UTT. The continuous high voltage levels could be a problem long term too.

OMG..... gonna let all the voltage power go to waste on TCCD ram? lol j/k I guess it all boils down to whether you want a high performer or average..... It's pretty much impossible for TCCD ram to compare with low latancy ram that will do 250-260fsb. If you want to play it safe with the voltage then go with the TCCD. If you want to set the pace with the killer performer stuff then get some nice cheap UTT. My personal favorite is the TwinMOS stuff. Either of the AA4T TwinMOS ram will net you some sweat performance on the DFI boards.

HousERaT said:
OMG..... gonna let all the voltage power go to waste on TCCD ram? lol j/k I guess it all boils down to whether you want a high performer or average..... It's pretty much impossible for TCCD ram to compare with low latancy ram that will do 250-260fsb. If you want to play it safe with the voltage then go with the TCCD. If you want to set the pace with the killer performer stuff then get some nice cheap UTT. My personal favorite is the TwinMOS stuff. Either of the AA4T TwinMOS ram will net you some sweat performance on the DFI boards.

Don't see where you are giving away performance when picking TCCD. Seems to me the high HTT makes up for lower latancy. This board can go either way. It has the voltage to push UTT and the HTT legs to fly with TCCD.

There is no wrong choice.

not necessarily a bad choice either way..... it's just that TCCD ram has to go well over 300fsb to get the same performance as low latancy ram running 250 and above. The reason I say TCCD is conservative is because you don't have to worry about frying your board using it. How many sticks of TCCD can get above 300fsb with 2.5-3-3-5 timings? losen those timings and now you have to get to 320fsb..... see where I'm going with this? I have 4 sticks of TCCD and trying to get them to equal my UTT ram in bandwidth hasn't been easy. So basically you can spend $300 for GSkill LE ram or you can spend $100 for some cheap UTT ram. Choice is always up to the paying customer.

HousERaT said:
not necessarily a bad choice either way..... it's just that TCCD ram has to go well over 300fsb to get the same performance as low latancy ram running 250 and above. The reason I say TCCD is conservative is because you don't have to worry about frying your board using it. How many sticks of TCCD can get above 300fsb with 2.5-3-3-5 timings? losen those timings and now you have to get to 320fsb..... see where I'm going with this? I have 4 sticks of TCCD and trying to get them to equal my UTT ram in bandwidth hasn't been easy. So basically you can spend $300 for GSkill LE ram or you can spend $100 for some cheap UTT ram. Choice is always up to the paying customer.

In general, I agree with you. I would, however, argue the extremes you quote. My TCCD has terrible latency yet I get over 7000 in Sandra at only HTT280. I don't think you would ever need HTT320 to best UTT.

On the other side, point me to that UTT for $100 that will do HTT250 at 2-2-2-5. If that performace is guaranteed I want some too.

reddywing1 said:
In general, I agree with you. I would, however, argue the extremes you quote. My TCCD has terrible latency yet I get over 7000 in Sandra at only HTT280. I don't think you would ever need HTT320 to best UTT.

On the other side, point me to that UTT for $100 that will do HTT250 at 2-2-2-5. If that performace is guaranteed I want some too.

Unfortunately nothing is ever guaranteed...... I have both types of TwinMOS and I've gotten both over 250 (My TMII sticks will do 260 and my TMSP sticks will do 258 with 1.5-2-2-5 timings 3.4v). I'm running my Speed Premiums rather conservatively right now with only 3.2v and they're still rock solid at 245fsb. You can get the TMII sticks for under $100 at newegg right now.... and the speed premiums are just a little more.

reddywing1 said:

Sandra buffered is dependant on RAM speed not latency, run the unbuffered test if you want a better comparison of TCCD vs UTT. If you are a hardcore bencher UTT will give better results, but for RL performance (encoding, games, etc) a good set of TCCD is just as good as UTT. If one were to generalize, it takes about 255Mhz of 2-2-2 to equal 300Mhz of 2.5-3-3.

I would not pursue the non Speed Premiums anymore, or at least the latest posts that I've seen from people buying non SP TwinMOS were that they did not receive UTT like some of the earlier shipments.

I run a MSI K8N Neo2 and it doesn't so as well, on average, with ram as the DFI, therefore I haven't had the same type of results, usually hitting right around 240-245 with my UTT based ram.

I believe that if I had just bought a new DFI and a San Diego 3700 that I would either spring for the VX or maybe the Reds from Mushkin. Everyone is heaping praise on them, of course, their haven't been enough reports from the regular joes to really know about the Reds.

My point is only why gamble with the ram by buying UnTesTed chips when the available budget will allow you to buy premium ram? The rest of the components are high end so don't cut corners with the ram.

(Next statement is an edit to the original post)
Its one thing if you already have one or more good/proven sets of sticks and now you go out and buy some value priced UTT to play with. Its another thing if it is your first and only set of ram for your high-end rig. In this case I would not gamble with the ram. (end of edit)

Either TCCD or UTT is going to give you great performance...but I tend to lean towards the tighter timings as opposed to the higher HTT but really, in this case there is no wrong answer.

The only real concern, and it can't be ignored, is whether or not running high voltages will have any long term affects. If you upgrade your gear every 6-9 months, then this won't matter, but if you are going to keep your rig long-term, then running 3.6v 24/7 might need to be evaluated a little more closely.

Last edited:
crb806 said:
would G,Skill LE or LA be better?

The LE's are better...

I personally like tccd better because it uses relatively low voltage, runs cooler, and can hit high frequencies. I think utt is cool, but just not as practical and efficient as tccd. Don't let the voltage options on your mobo make the descision for you either, there are many other reasons to have a dfi.

as you probably know, the LE's are rated at 2.5-3-3; 275mhz

EDIT: I personally like tccd better than utt :p

Last edited:
Rumrunner,

Are you comparing the LEs as TCCD and the LAs as UTT or are you just expressing your preference between the two TCCD based ram.

If I'm not mistaken, the LEs and the LAs are both TCCD based ram, just rated at different speeds, with the LAs being rated to DDR600 at slightly more relaxed timings of 2.5-4-4-8 (and priced accordingly).

Last edited:
Yes, both are tccd. The LE's are better in general, as far as speed is concerned, of course prices are another story. I wasn't saying the LA's were utt if thats what you thought.

I was unsure from your post whether or not you were so I was trying to get a clarification.

What do you mean by the LEs are better, speed wise? I believe that it depends on your "sweet spot" as to which will produce the better results. If you are wanting to run much over 300 then the LAs are probably a better bet as the LEs may not get as far. If you are wanting to run 275-280, then the LEs will run that at better timings. Of course, if you believe all of the Mushkin Reds press, they will run 275 at 2-2-2 timings, which of course is much better than any TCCD.

Kinda funny if you think about it. Winbond BH5 (the King) is replaced on top by new Samsung TCCD (all hail the new King), which is subsequently dethroned by no other than new Winbond BH/CH (the latest King). The new boss...same as the old boss.

Eldonko said:
Sandra buffered is dependant on RAM speed not latency, run the unbuffered test if you want a better comparison of TCCD vs UTT. If you are a hardcore bencher UTT will give better results, but for RL performance (encoding, games, etc) a good set of TCCD is just as good as UTT. If one were to generalize, it takes about 255Mhz of 2-2-2 to equal 300Mhz of 2.5-3-3.

I still think the degree of difference is less than you think. In Anand's tests, UTT running HTT267 @ 2/2/2 was basicly equaled by TCCD running HTT280 @2.5/4/3. The timings are important but raw speed wins.
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2386&p=2

Back