• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingmax DDR500 w/ D5 results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alexhk

Not quite your normal review because of my platform but 256MB KingmaxDDR500 TSOP module was tested in my Epox 8rda6+ (merlin bios) Because one of my other sticks is TCB3 i looked for max speed at 2-3-3 timings first. Memtest86+ v1.55 was used for testing. With 2.77 volts I was stable up to 218Mhz. Raising Vdimm to 2.9 volts (my board undervolts a bit so its more like 2.85) had me up to 225 still at 2-3-3 but that was the wall. Either the chips or the pcb took a few hours to settle. Couldn't even do 205 at 2-3-3 when I first put them in but after more than 12 hours of memtesting I am rocking. Have to say I'm pretty impressed with these D5 modules. Unfortunately highest I could manage with 2-2-2 timings was 183Mhz but considering it only cost $33 from Newegg I'm more than happy. Does 2-2-2 to the point that would benefit an older nforce2 board and does 2-3-3 up to what most good nforce2 boards can do. I'm tempted to try and find the max with 2.5-3-3 but my MB will probably get in the way so I'll wait on that. Anyone else tried the Kingmax with D5 chips? Looks like a decent budget choice if your voltage options are limited.

I have them now. They do well for Intel based boards, as they don't have tight timings but are pretty good, i've had them over 270 and for the price ($96cdn for 512mb), they are the cheapest PC4000 around.

Can do 3-3-3-8 at 255, 2.5-3-3-8 at 245. I haven't tried for more yet, still playing with my CPU/AS8 setup to see what is comfortable.

Well took off the heatspreader and its DT-D5. Collins great guide says the DT-D5 chips are known to do 200Mhz at 2-2-2 so I either got unlucky with the chips or kingmax uses a crappy PCB. Can anyone else with the D5 Kingmax respond with their highest clock at 2-2-2? Well I'm gonna go restest mine at 2-2-2 in a bit.

I'm surprised that D5 is supposed to run 2-2-2 timings...did you double check that?

I'll have to go dig up some reviews on the OCZ PC3700 Rev 3 which has D5 chips and see if they ran it 2-2-2 and I just forgot it.

I'll be back!

Well after testing agin I have them stable at 192Mhz 2-2-2(thats both memtest and prime95 stable). I checked a few reviews and you seem to be right. No 2-2-2 at 200Mhz for DT-D5. Collin might want to change the wording in his sticky. Strange, I swear they wouldn't even memtest at 185 yesterday. On to looser timings, at 2.5-3-3 they were stable at 244Mhz. My motherboard tops out at 253Mhz so I'm not sure how high 3-3-3 can go.

Alexhk said:
Well after testing agin I have them stable at 192Mhz 2-2-2(thats both memtest and prime95 stable). I checked a few reviews and you seem to be right. No 2-2-2 at 200Mhz for DT-D5. Collin might want to change the wording in his sticky. Strange, I swear they wouldn't even memtest at 185 yesterday. On to looser timings, at 2.5-3-3 they were stable at 244Mhz. My motherboard tops out at 253Mhz so I'm not sure how high 3-3-3 can go.

Send him a PM noting his comments on the D5 and ask him to clarify them for you. It may be as simple as an overlooked typo.

FWIW, I couldn't get 2-2-2-x with this memory at 200mhz, even with 3v. D5 generally doesn't need more voltage than 2.8-2.9v, anything more and it's a waste.

Back