• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my deductions correct?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mirko_3

Here's the story:
I have this P4 2.4B, on an Asus P4G8X (Granite Bay, remember it?), which was at 3.06Ghz at 1.5v, and 512MB Geil DDR400 in dual-channel. At this point FSB is 170, and can go a bit higher.
I bought 1GB Adata DDR400 Ram, but if I add it to the system it becomes unstable; oh well, pretty normal, it's dual-channel after all, and if I lower the FSB to 164 I can run Memtest for 10+ hours without problems. But the system still is unstable.
So, the CPU can do 3.0Ghz, the ram can do 170FSB individually but not together, and the system is only stable at 140FSB. How come? Ram is fine at 164, but mprime craps out.
The only thing I could think of is that the northbridge is stressed more with that much ram... (though raising AGP voltage from 1.5 to 1.7 doesn't help).
One last thing, I had to improve cooling on the northbridge to get memtest stable at 164, otherwise it was down to 160.
My question is, why isn't the whole system stable at 164FSB? Chipset limit, right?
Sorry that the post is long...

Back