• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] Windows Server 2003 Ghosting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Hey all,

okay, here is the set up, we have an exchange server, but currently running off an IDE drive - i finally got a 68pin / LVD SCSi cable so i want to put in the system a 76g scsi drive (is a tyan server board has built in SCSI controller)

i was able to try out Symantec Ghost 8 - but it is WAY too complicated, and most other apps dont work on a Server O/S.

Does any one know what program would be best to ghost the HD so i can move it to a new drive, basically boot from the Ghost image and install it on the new drive all together ? something not overly complicated like Symantec Ghost 8 which appears like i have to know how to program in order to tell it just to ghost a drive.

My version of Ghost has a very easy to use user interface that is menu driven. The same interface has been there as far back as Ghost 6.0, perhaps even 5.0. When you just type 'ghost' and hit Enter, does it not give you a UI?

where do i type ghost?
will get some screen shots of 8 the Programs folder shows me these .exe files:

AiBuilder
Ghost Boot Wizard
Ghost Console
Ghost Explorer
GhostCast Server

that is unde All Programs / Symantec Ghost

Oooh, that looks like Ghost Server.

I've not fooled around with that much, but no wonder it looks confusing. What you need is the Ghost application, which is probably available on the Ghost Server CD somewhere.

When you use Ghost, you typically boot into DOS mode and run it ('ghost' at the command prompt), and from there you image from one drive/partition to another drive/partition.

use ghost boot wizard to create the ghost boot disk. You can create diskettes with various network card drivers on them so you can send the image over tcpip to your ghost server. You've got the enterprise version there that allows you to ghost case to as many pcs as you want.

But in your case you just want to create the diskettes and then use them to boot the computer and then forget about the ghost casting options, just use disk to disk.

ahhh okay, will check the CD - one of or developers gave it to me since they couldnt figure it out either...lol

:D

yeah i just want to ghost the drive - burn it to CD / DVD , then boot from that image and put it on a new clean drive.

okay i found the options for the ghost boot disk.

Now, not sure if i understand the process properly.

so just to clarfiy - i want to ghost my entire C drive which is an IDE drive - i then want to take that ghost image and install it on a brand new 73g UltraSCSI 320 drive to replace the IDE drive..... so my C drive is the SCSI drive and then i can remove the IDE drive..

the norton ghost keeps asking me about floppy disks and how many to create - can i not create a ghost image and burn it to a DVD or 2 or 3 DVD / CD's, then load it back on ?

god! could syamntenc of made their help file ANY more useless - they make it SO complicated.

easy way to do a drive to drive cloen in Symantec Ghost 8

1. start boot wizard
2. create normal boot floppies (first option)
3. hook up new HD in system u want to use as new drive
4. boot from floppy
5 Ghost.exe loads - choose disk --> clone
6. wait an hour and 20 mins for 70g drive to clone IDE ---> to SCSI

done :D

Back