• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

net send

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pilipk01

Hi all,

Any ideas why i cannot send message to my domain users using net sen?

I have started messaging servivce on my PC and on the one i was sending it to

cheers

If your PCs are running XP SP2, then the Windows Firewall is likely blocking ports 139 TCP and 135 UDP (or do I have those backwards? hmm). In any case, you will likely have to use your Group Policy editor to define Windows Firewall to open those specific ports on each machine in order to reach the messaging service on each machine.

pilipk01 said:
Hi all,

Any ideas why i cannot send message to my domain users using net sen?

I have started messaging servivce on my PC and on the one i was sending it to

cheers
You'll need to make sure the "Terminal Services" service is started also. The net send command uses the Messenger service, which requires Terminal Services to deliver the message.
dAvies.lOcker said:
what is the command for net send? And where/how do i start the messaging service?
The syntax for the net send command is...

net send {name | * | /domain[:name] | /users} message

To start the Messenger service...Start | Run | Type services.msc, and click OK | Scroll down to "Messenger", right click and select "Properties" | "General" tab | Set "Startup type" to "Automatic". The Messenger service is used to instant message others on the same LAN (using the net send command). It uses ports 135 and 139, like Slackfumasta suggested, and spammers have found a way to use this service to feed you pop-ups...which is why those ports should NEVER be wide open to the internet. This is the reason MS decided to disable the Messenger service in SP2, and why you should seriously think twice before enabling it.

Last edited:
If the windows firewall is up, I think it will block these messages as well. Good times with net send at lan parties. Back in the CS 1.5 days, alt-tabbing out caused you to lose sound, so you could net send people, and voila, muted.

Cheers redduc

We used to use it when i was back in uni halls, sometimes during games too. A mate of mine wrote a VB prgram that gave it a better interface, and the option to send 1000 messages at once - PITA!

But with AIM etc there is no point in me activating it, also in a house now of 4 people instead of 400, i can shout up the stairs!!! lol

D.L

Back