• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Windows 2000 is Retiring...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZGOZZ

Microsoft Windows 2000 is Retiring...

Help your customers get to know Windows XP
Now is a great time to educate your customers on the benefits and features of Microsoft® Windows® XP. After June 30, 2005, Microsoft will no longer be supplying distributors with Microsoft Windows 2000. And while Windows 2000 may be available through distributors with remaining inventory, we recommend that you begin encouraging your Windows 2000 customers to learn more about Windows XP.

Migrating to Windows XP is simple, thanks to an intuitive interface, increased compatibility, performance and considerable enhancements in several areas:

Windows Firewall and Windows Security Center*
Automatic Updates and System Restore
Increased Application Compatibility
Advanced Networking Features
Downgrade Rights
Your customers may be interested in downgrade rights, which allow them to acquire a license for Windows XP today and apply it to a Windows 2000 or older operating system. Then, when your customers are ready, they can upgrade to Windows XP at no additional cost. Check with your local distributor for more specific information regarding downgrade rights as well as special promotional offers around Windows XP. Click here for technical training, technical support, marketing collateral, Sales Support, and more!

*Included with Windows XP Service Pack 2

AHhh, a sad thing indeed. I used 2000 for alittle, after I had gotten away from ME, but before I had moved to XP. Really liked it, but there were a few things here and there that I could of prefered, when I saw them in XP. Oh well, I have moved away from MS completely now, operating on only Linux boxes.

yeah i heard this rumor at my work also, win2k is good but, its 5yrs old and in the computer world we all know thats ancient, and its also sad too, i work in tech support, and we STILL have people calling in with win95 systems and believe it or not, i have had a woman call in before with win NT!!!, i was like WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN WOMAN!

also: OSPF, what linux do you run, or recommend?

shellshock said:
personally, i think win 2000 is better that xp, its way more sucure, and makes a great, cheap os for server applicatons. Im sad to see it go :cry:

More secure. lol. This is simply a false statement. Unless you were comparing a completely patched windows 2000 sp4 box to a rtm release of xp with no patches.

honhon, Windows NT 4 came out arround the time of 98. There was a NT 3.x version prior to this as well. I'm not surprized about the woman calling about windows 95. Sadly a lot of companies still use NT.

Yeh i read a few weeks ago about a huge flaw in win2k's security, i cant really remember what now i just scanned though it. I used to run Winxp because i had HT, but now i just stick with win2k even if it is a bit slower at some tasks, i just prefer it. Theres a SP5 type thing out soon not offically a service pack, just a bunch of updates.

Oni said:
So long as they still update it I'm not moving.

They will have my Win2k install disc when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

THey are not going to be working on updates anymore.

They are going to be working on LongHorn and XP 64

Oni said:
So long as they still update it I'm not moving.

They will have my Win2k install disc when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

rofl, lead on Mr. Heston :D

they couldn't pay me enough to switch to xp.

Geuss it's about time I started migrating. Just the cost of doing it is really puting me off. I geuss if I just went with XP on the main two it's not so bad. But, I can't get used to the "Fisher-Price" look of XP no matter how hard I try. Even when all the eyecandy is turned off, and it's set to "Classic" mode, it just doesn't have a comfortable feel to it.

A year after the Original Post

Well here it is over a year since the original posts. It looks like patches and security updates are still coming out for Windows 2000. Maybe I'll hold on to 2000 until they get SP4 out for Windows Vista. Then maybe... just maybe it will be time to upgrade. Sorry Bill Gates... Your gonna have to wait a little but longer for my money. Oh yeah... Windows Vista better be something more than some new wallpaper or or a service pack for XP...
;)

Skunk Monkey said:
Well here it is over a year since the original posts. It looks like patches and security updates are still coming out for Windows 2000. Maybe I'll hold on to 2000 until they get SP4 out for Windows Vista. Then maybe... just maybe it will be time to upgrade. Sorry Bill Gates... Your gonna have to wait a little but longer for my money. Oh yeah... Windows Vista better be something more than some new wallpaper or or a service pack for XP...
;)
I can confirm that they're still patching 2K, since $WORK is at least in part a 2K shop. It seems like we have every kind of box at work, including 2K. They are still issuing patches and hotfixes.

Windows 2000 Professional is a great operating system. I prefer Linux, but 2kPro gets a nod of approval and a seat of honor on one of my servers.

AFAIK, they'll be updating it until 2008, but it is no longer officially supported.

At that time, I may consider a move to WinXP. But not before.

Well it's only three weeks before 2008 rolls into full swing. I still get updates for W2K. I will stick with it for probably at least another couple years. I've tried other operating systems but always come back "home" to Windows 2000.

There are 2 lvls of support. Products go into an "extended support" mode after a period of time. No new features are added, but they still do critical security updates and stuff like that.

I'm sticking with Win 2K for as long as it's useful, and using Linux as my primary OS. Sometimes though, Win 2K is better for gaming. I only run it on one box though, which is multi boot with several Linux distros and BSD.

I refuse to purchase products with activation. It's too inconvenient for someone like me who completely rearranges hardware on a nearly weekly basis.

There are 2 lvls of support. Products go into an "extended support" mode after a period of time. No new features are added, but they still do critical security updates and stuff like that.

I'm sticking with Win 2K for as long as it's useful, and using Linux as my primary OS. Sometimes though, Win 2K is better for gaming. I only run it on one box though, which is multi boot with several Linux distros and BSD.

I refuse to purchase products with activation. It's too inconvenient for someone like me who completely rearranges hardware on a nearly weekly basis.

I load images off of my usb2 hd. Love it :D

Back