• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i'll probably be gone for a few days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
last night my great-grandmother died. She was 93 years old. My wife, my brothers, my parents, and I had all driven through a foot of snow this past march just to see her one lastd time when she was still alive.

It was hard then. I knew it was coming. I knew she was dying. But it still hurts bad. My wife has been trying to console me for a long time.... but it still hurts. Nanny (what we called her) was always there. If you didn't have something, she'd give it to you. She'd stay up all night with you if you were sick or hurting or lonely just to keep you company.

i'm gonna miss her alot :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

~frank

slightly soggy from tears cookie commander

i feel for you man
my grandma died on sunday... her visitation was tomorow.. the funeral's today... i'm a pallbearer..
it was so sudden... :cry: :cry:
goodluck man.. i know how your feeling..
i saw my grandma like everyday... she was only 76... pancreatitis is bad... :cry:
she was the nicest lady.. on almost every commitee on the church.. and she was always there for everyone...

My condolences :( I'm so sorry for your loss. My grandfather died last year @ 92. I'm the only one in my family from my brothers and sisters that got to know both my grandparents and live with them before they passed on.

thanks for the condolences, guys.

But now it gets worse. I can't go to the funeral, and good chance I can't make the wake. If i miss work 1 more time, regardless of excuse, I'm fired, and I can't afford that now. :cry:.

No, its not because I have a habit of missing work. I'm on first warning becaused I failed a Quality Assurance exam. If i miss, that counts as 2 warnings, which equals 3 warnings which equals fired.

And Ticketmaster won't let you miss unless it is for legal (court) excuse or medical (as in you are in the emergency room). They wont' accept funerals....

:cry:

I"m gettin' a new job as fast as I can.

This is gonna be a rough weekend.

Frank ... that sucks. I will be praying for you and your family. Its a bit shabby that your work don't allow compassionate leave. The company I work for is pretty heartless but even they allow 3 days off (2 at the time + 1 day for funeral) if a close family member dies....

yeah frank that's pretty low... im sorry to hear that they wont do it

i just got back from the funeral... it was really sad, but i managed to keep myself together for most of it... it was respectable and practical... just like her :cry:
i was a pallbearer... but it was just so hard... my grandma was perfectly ok.. then 3 weeks ago.. she passed a gal stone.. and then it became pancreatitis... well at least she's with god now... :cry:

I'm sorry to hear that Frank. I hope everything works out for you, man. We'll hold down the fort until you come back.

Best of luck to you, though!

a solid second on the best of luck.
ive seen some hard times in the last few months myself.
ill be gone for a while as well, but i am moving home from college,
and computers will be hit or miss for a while.
take care.

thanks again for the support guys. found otu from work today that they relented and will let me go to my grandmother's funeral....

guess it helps to mention the fact that i wanted it in writing so my parents could show teh rest of my family why i thought it wasn't important to show up.....

its nice what HR will do for you.....

guess it also helps that i promised to bring them some stuff from the funeral to prove i was there, and told them i was willing to work sunday to make it up.

My sympathies Frank. My GF died a month ago. I know how you feel. You know my AIM if you need to talk. Hang in there.

i lost my grandma too, love her to death...i wish she was still here

hope you get over it so you dont have to suffer from the absence of your nanny

Hey calcal... how di you know that we called her Nanny?

anyways guys... the funeral was... for lack of better words... beautiful. She got her last wish, and that was to be back here in the mountains of west virginia one last time with all her family gathered around. Her gravesite is on top of one of the tallest mountains in the area, looking to the east.

My wife has been there 100% for me through this. I don't know how I ever could have made it without her. Nanny did so much for me through life.

Again guys, thanks for all the support. Ya don't know how much it meansto know that people are willing to help you through difficult times.

~Frank

oh... duh... *feels slightly embarassed*..... lol... i've been outta sorts the past few days... i'd forgot totally about that.

my great grandmother died when i was about 10 years old (that was 9 years ago). my sister and brother cried. i didn't. didn't even feel sad. i dont know why. i knew her well but i just didnt feel it. i still dont feel anything when death happens around me

My grandfather died last year, almost 80...

what slayed me was that he lived almost across the world, and in India (where my parents are from and he lived), they creamate the bodies after a funeral. My mom was an Indian citizen, and it took too much work to renew her passport, so she couldn't even see her own dad.

I didn't cry, but i felt like *** for a few weeks. My grandfather was a freedom fighter in india. He was a respectable man in his community, popular and generous. He was VERY nice, and was a great artist. It just left a hole when he died.. Was so sudden.

I only saw him like twice that I can remember, three times total. Once when I was two, our family went to india for around a month, then he came to america for 6 months, and then i went to india again for 2 weeks... a few years later, he died.

Back