• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

@#%*$ Brother cracking my windows password

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZNBoiOnFIYA

ok, i keep my gaming rig locked and password protected from my brother because he just hogs it everytime he get on. so i change my password, but he uses his thumb drive to hack my windows password. is there some way to superlock my computer so he cant get on?

bios password. it can be cracked, but he would have to clear your bios (so you lock the case)

i dont think hes clearing my bios. he might be booting from a cd and installing a key logger. how would i stop him from doing this? i want to be the only person accessing my computer

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
ok, i keep my gaming rig locked and password protected from my brother because he just hogs it everytime he get on. so i change my password, but he uses his thumb drive to hack my windows password. is there some way to superlock my computer so he cant get on?

how is that possible ?

if you password your bios, he cant boot from a cd and he wouldnt be able to read the keystrokes from the bios unless the key logger is a physical one on the back of your computer. password your bios and lock the computer case. the computer wont boot without the password

alright. set bios password. ill see if he can still get in

Edit:

could it be possible that hes reading my password off the windows registry?

They are stored in the SAM file. He would have to take it and brute force it. Use a stronger password, use a bios password, lock the computer case. Check for physical key loggers and for software keyloggers, Have a talk with him. Tell him straight out what you expect from him. Don't beat around the bush or hold back, be honest and up front. After he gets in has the Admin password changed? There is a simple program to boot from floppy or CD and change the admin password. Or you could just shut up and set up your webcam to bust him in the act. start watching and reading log files and find out how he is getting in before you show your hand so you know what to protect against.

is there some sort of spyware i can put on my own computer to monitor what hes doing on it? dont have webcam or anything so i cant really catch him in the act. i guess ill just set the bios password and remove the jumper

All he has to do is pop the case and pop the cmos battery and he can have your bios back to no pass, he can easily DL one of many programs to reset your XP password to anything he wants. Or he can dump and crack. Good possibility he knows you enough to guess what you would use for variations of a password, knows where you record your password (In case you forget)or he could have a physical logger on the keyboard line. If you can secure your case you can disable the boot to other, and floppy, CD in the bios as well as the pass.

If you really want to stop him get this and run the boot auth and then encrypt the drive, not much of a performance hit and your drive will be dead to all others.

http://www.securstar.com/products_drivecryptpp.php

i dont really want to encrypt my drive as it will really hinder its performance. is there some way i can make my computer boot only if i insert a special floppy or cd or have i been watching too many movies? its not really a big deal that he has access to my computer, but im just ****ed off that he went behind my back and cracked my password. im pretty sure hes using a program as i do vary my passwords so it'd be pretty hard to find. im pretty sure im fine w/ just the bio password as he doesnt know anything about reseting the CMOS. i guess i have to hide my mobo manual now.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
as he doesnt know anything about reseting the CMOS. i guess i have to hide my mobo manual now.

If a person knows how to crack passwords they know how to reset the CMOS. It's not like it's that hard. But I'd try the BIOS password first, if he still gets through try something more drastic.

Ok I will ask again. Did the Admin password change or is it what you set it at? Not your user password. Does he have a user account on that rig? If so does it have admin privliges? right click my computer >>> click manage >>> local users groups >>> Users

no the admin password didnt change, but thats because he didnt change it. he still knew what it was. theres only one account on that computer and its mine. hes telling me he brute forced it, but im not believing him. he said something about using knoppix, 2 programs, and his flash drive and something he saw on tech tv years ago about hacking winxp passwords. dont know how this is possible, but he said he used knoppix to get into my computer and then install 2 programs. anyways, he does know how to reset the bios, so if i find something wrong with my computer the next time ill beat the **** out of him

its super easy to change any windows user pws just by a single cd or thumbdrive, and this is NOT cracking!! in less than 2 minutes..the absolute only thing you can do is to lock your case and put a bios pws, thats ALL. anything else would be taking it to the xtreme --as this isn't extreme already :rolleyes:

Edit: messed up smiley :p

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
no the admin password didnt change, but thats because he didnt change it. he still knew what it was. theres only one account on that computer and its mine. hes telling me he brute forced it, but im not believing him. he said something about using knoppix, 2 programs, and his flash drive and something he saw on tech tv years ago about hacking winxp passwords. dont know how this is possible, but he said he used knoppix to get into my computer and then install 2 programs. anyways, he does know how to reset the bios, so if i find something wrong with my computer the next time ill beat the **** out of him

He grabbed the SAM file with knoppix saved it on a thumb drive then brute forced it.

Also are you saying that you use the admin account and not your own account? The Admin account will not normally show up when you go to logon. Check the users section I showed you before there should be a list of all the accounts. Change all the passwords!

you can allso have some fun and disable the USB in bios, then enable it when you need it... he wont know where to turn...

orionlion82 said:
you can allso have some fun and disable the USB in bios, then enable it when you need it... he wont know where to turn...

With Knoppix he can just transfer the file over the network just as easy as he copied it to a thumbdrive.

buy a removable hard drive caddy and yank the drive out when you are done with it.

Some can also be locked so that unless you unlock it with the key, you can't boot off of it at all.

Back