• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*HELP* Blue Screen Of Death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deeznuts420

I am trying to fix a computer for a friend. The problem is when the computer boots, i receive the "Blue screen of death". It says PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. It doesn't report any files as being the problem. After doing some research through google, I see that the RAM is sometimes to blame. I ran memtest...no problem. I disconnected everything and restarted with just mobo, cpu, ram, vid card, and HDD...still BLUE SCREEN. Tried to run in safemode...same problem. I pulled the HDD and used a drive that already has xp loaded. The machine booted, installed needed drives, and ran like new. I hooked my friends HDD up as slave and restarted, I ran spybot, adaware, and AVG and found 6 spyware, and 3 viruses. I deleted and pulled my HDD out. Restarted with friends HDD ALONE as master.. DAMN blue screen again. I called my buddy to see if he had installed anything recently, and he said that he had installed DVD x, DVD copy, or something like that. Does anyone have a solution? I really don't want to do a reinstall seeing that he will lose alot of stuff. Here are his system specs.

Dell Dimension 4600
P4 2.66 533 FSB
256mb pc2700 RAM
DVD-ROM
CD-RW
40gb HDD
250watt PSU
Nvidia 64mb AGP GPU

NOTE: I should also note that I switched the vid card with an old Radeon 7000 just to see if that was the prob...but it wasn't.

With having the viruses on there, I'd probably just go ahead and do a reinstall. Do you have enough room on one of your drives to copy his important files and stuff over? That way, he wouldn't lose anything, he'd just have to reinstall some of his programs -- but then again, Windows is always extra snappy after a fresh install. :)

Try this link:
http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/archive/index.php/t-4110.html

I'll see what else I can find.

Last edited:
First of all, :weolcome: to the forums!

Second of all: Nice diagnosing there! I think you have found your problem, and it is the hard drive or the OS is borked. I'd follow Knight's advice and copy off all the data you can. Format the drive and reinstall XP. If the drive messes up again, then you may want to think about possibly the hard drive dying. In that case, run some diagnostics on it from the drive's manufacturer and see if the drive is having problems.

Good Luck, and hope that helps! :)

Yeah, I have narrowed it down to corrupt windows. I found another page from microsoft saying that a malicious kernal driver know as Rootkit/Spyware: msupd5.exe may be to blame. But not being able to boot into safemode will not allow me to delete the problem. I have already transferred needed files to one of my backup drives, and am now able to do a clean install.......but I just can't let it go. I hate to be beaten and want to fix it. Even though I am an idiot and am wasting time....I WILL fix it. I am going to attempt to delete the file in repair utility, if that doesn't work I'll try to delete the pagefile and see what happens. If you guys have any other ideas let me know...I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to the rootfiles....but i will give it a try. Besides what have i got to lose??

P.S. Thanks for the Welcome. I got my self in trouble with my first post....but the mod who CORRECTED me was nice enough to let it slide :)

Back