• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for MP3 on demand streaming server software for Windoze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I have been looking everywhere for a simple and easy to setup on demand MP3 streaming server but have found nothing usefull. All I have found is SHOUTcast which is not on demand at all (easy to setup though), and icecast, which has a much much more complicated setup process than SHOUTcast had. Shoutcast just needed some basic setup information, and the rest was a GUI under winamp, but icecast (which I believe can do on demand streaming) was just crap when it came to setting it up. All I got was this config file, with NO explainations for the variables, and online documention that I absolutly do NOT want to read. All I want to do is install something set the settings in a simple GUI and run it. I don't want to read everything about the damn program!! :mad:

I'm sorry, it just makes me so mad that these people don't even bother to make things simple. I don't have a day to waist reading all about streaming MP3 servers, how they work, what different software does what, and how to set it all up (sigh). :( I just need something simple, so if anyone knows of any software, then please post a link to it. Thanks.

I use Dudebox Xtreamer, but that only works because I have a Dell DJ. That I can't use cause the screen broke. And I own Dudebox, which for some really strange reason, runs a music server, but only reads from the mp3 player. Odd, but it works very well.
http://www.redchairsoftware.com/res/ss/dbXtreamer.gif << Screenshot

For "On Demand" stuff, I usually setup Icecast and VNC. Not a great solution but a solution non-the-less. As far as I know, Icecast will not do the on-demand that you seek.

And Icecast's variables are all very well defined. It's in the help file. Yes it's more difficult to setup, but typically most open source apps are, simply because they are producing something that works. They aren't getting paid for it, so why build a GUI for your program, for all 2 people who are intimidated by the config file? Eh?

not sure if this is what you want, but I use streamsicle, that way I can listen to my music in work, you can set it so you can skip songs etc.

Found a solution at long last! MP3 toolbox! Found a link to it on a shoutcast forum. You need a web server to run it, but the awesomeness is just too much! It launches .pls play list files, which for whatever stupid reason, windows media player doesn’t support, but winamp, and itunes support it, and they are both great players, so no problems there. Here is a link to MP3 toolbox MP3 Toolbox It works really well, I have mine setup with a DDNS sub-domain, and on port 8080 since those stupid f**kers at cox block port 80. I don't have the bandwidth for anyone other then myself, so I password protected it. I used a webserver suite software package from devside.net. It made installation much easier. Anyway, hope this helps someone out that was looking for the same thing as I.

Back