• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going A64, need reinsurance from you guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

Hi, I'm going A64 and I have my mind set on components but I need reinsurance that its all good as this is going to be my last machine is the next few years.
Here we go:
DFI LanParty nF4-D - its the new "slim" version, moddable to NF4-UltraD
AMD 3000 Venice - aiming at 2.7-2.8 with water for this baby
OCZ EL PC4000 Gold rev2 - Memory is a carry on from this rig
HD is a carry on
Sapphire X800 OR Nvidia 6600GT - Not decided yet, the X800 is better in beniches though...
Its all going to be on some water with WW, MCW50, MCP600 and a 86' Chevette core.

Any comments are welcome.

Why not get the SLI version so you won't need to worry about upgrading your mobo AND vid cards for awhile, just throw another vid. card in. Just a suggestion.

PEACE

Thought about that, I'm not certin I will have the money to buy a new card in the future so I'm not going to take the risk with the 6600GT.

I think that looks like a real solid setup. I'd go with the ATI card though, it'll perform a little better :)

Nice memory Flip ;)

Good luck with your Venice...... it'll be interesting to see how high you'll be able to get on it.

For a little more money, you might consider something like this card: X800XL

They tend to overclock just as well or better than the X800XT's, and the performance is very nice. If you're not sure if you're going to be able to go SLI in the future, I'd recommend spending 50 dollars or so more on a video card, because the performance goes up quite a bit if you spend a little more.

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Thanks Aaron, I will give it some serious thought.
Its 60$ more then the X800 and I'm not really sure about this Rosewill brand...

yeah that will be a nice rig...but honestly SLI is useless at this day in age, simply put, SLI is ahead of its time. Even the newest CPUs (im not sure about dual core though) just cannot keep up w/ the speed in SLI. Everytime, the video cards must wait on the CPU in an SLI setup, and usually for a bit of time (computer wise), plus its senslessly expensive...i wouldnt recomment SLI unless ur getting dual-core or have a lot of money to throw around.

Well, you can get the BBA X800XL for 295..... and the Powercolor X800XL is very well liked and it's 285 I think. I was just posting the Rosewill b/c it was the first X800XL that I saw on newegg.

The performance is great though, for the money.... it's what, 80-90 bucks less the 6800GT and gets better performance?

Actually HouseRat has a Rosewill and I don't see him complaining...
Good point there, I will not be upgrading for quite a while so I might as well get the good stuff.
Ppl with 9800Pro's are still playing games with playable framerates.

EDIT: Well I just did a little recalculation and the X800XL puts me over the buget...

Last edited:
I'm right about ready to order actually....
Of course I'm not in a big hurry.
And Aaron, don't forget I'm soon to be in your shoes. Dirt poor student.

Flip-Mode said:
Dirt poor student.

It's ironic how that works. I just graduated (yesterday) and my family gave me an obscene amount of money. I have a great internship lined up for the summer, making more than many of my family members even, and have lived the last 5 years in poverty and NOW they decide to actually give me cash. I say, screw the graduation presents and give a little during the course of your college years. Of course... I'm not complaining after the fact either ;)

Good luck on the build! I say to wait a bit and pick up the x800XL. Check zipzoomfly.com, though, as I've seen they have amazing deals on those vid cards!

Lol I'm going is SLI becuz.........well I'm cheap. Sounds contridicting eh? Well, not when you look down the line. Spend a good amount of money on a good board with a 6600gt for NOW.<----major point. Then later in the future when you have money get a 6800gt(prices will have gone down much by then) then whenever you have that amount of money again OR you feel the need too, so you might now eve want to go sli, then throw another 6800gt in there.

So basically I'm getting it so I want have to worry about upgrading my parts for a long a** time becuz I won't be having money to throw around all my life :p I guess you just have to look at it from a different point of view.

PEACE

The thing is, the high performing ATI cards are only doing slightly lower benches than the SLI's 6800GT's ;), so I fail to see where SLI is really that beneficial? Perhaps in the future when developers better implement software for it, but as for now I'd stick with a strong ATI.

Then, when ATI comes out with a functional version of their own SLI, I'll go with that :)

Back